TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got problems with EXCESSIVE flex with my bird. In fact, the firewall cracked from it.

I'm wondering if there is a possibility of putting in a roll cage that allows you to still use the back seat for passengers.

Extra crash protection would be a plus, but I mainly hit deer, but have been hit a few times by other vehicles.

Primary points wanted are to keep back seat usable for passengers. Keep the fold down functional. Stiffen the whole car.

If possible, I don't want this to be an "in your face" roll cage. I'd like it as stealth as possible. I don't need the bars showing, but lumps under the head liner, and other coverups are ideas.

Also, how many thousand benjamins am I looking at spending?

Existing mods, JL Shock Tower braces front and rear. Coming, custom cradle brace tying radiator support to cradle to frame rails.

No, I don't want a Maurader or built Crown Vic.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What about sub frame connectors? They would have to be custom but so would anything else. You could build a roll cage that followed the pillars in the car. Bars coming up on each side of the windshield, a hoop for the roof 2 bars on either side where the pillar separates the quarter windows from the doors and then 2 more bars on either side of the rear window. It won't be nearly as strong without the interior bracing but should do nicely to stiffen up the car. It sounds like a lot of work to me unless it was a dedicated track car.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
Wow? If you've got JL Shock Tower braces front and rear now I can't imagine why you'd have excessive body flex. The roads in Iowa must be horrible or you like jumping the car over speed bumps. lol

Yea, if you want to beef the car up further go with subframe braces. A roll cage is serious overkill for a N/A 3.8 V6

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
cages are kinda cheap.
I say buy a 6 point, and use it only as a 4.....if you don't plan on taking it to the track, you can weld a cage to your liking(just think safe where ever bar placement is).

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a welder, nor do I have the equipment. This would all be purchased (UGH!).

Trunk Monkey, the problem is the end of my drive way. There is a large hump at the end to prevent rain water runoff from entering from the "Alley" into my drive. (my driveway is on a right of way from the neighboring church parking lot) The whole car flexes as I have to make a 90 degree turn to get in and out of the driveway.

Teal944, putting on some bars that are one piece instead of the 2 piece that Super Coupe Performance sells for the front of the car.

Think I'll still have to do more with the suspension. The car still jumps/slides to the right going over rough pavement. I don't like that. It almost acts like a bad rear bearing, but I've had that checked several time, but bearings have not failed. I've got Bilsteins on order for the rear (02-04 Cobra Rear shocks). I've got Bilsteins on the front (Last available set for the T-bird in the US).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts