TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am going to be building a 5.4 nvh block for around 1000 hp i was wondering recommended turbo sizing it only shows one turbo post? I see a lot of percision 76mm twin nvh blocks with this hp but they seem more strip then street used. they are also like 4 grand a piece is there any other reccomendations this is planned on being a dd car so id like to have it spood decently through all rpms

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Wow...Just...Wow dude...Do you even realize how much power your talking about? I'm not trying to offend you man,but come on...1000HP Daily driver 5.4 twin turbo thunderbird ? maybe if you had 50-60 grand to blow, but 6500 bucks isn't even gonna pay for the machine work and fabrication your gonna need for the kind of car you are describing...
lol and get like 7 mpg at $5 a gallon nah. and all 5.4's i see are high mileage or shelby engines for rediculous amounts of cash
And with 1000 hp anything your not gonna get good mileage, and that's if you can even run street fuel...race fuel is probably gonna be way more than $5/gallon

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Blake's post x2...

You have A LOT more reading to do. I got to ride in my uncles a 600hp 427 '65 AC Cobra and it was stupid fast. I wouldn't want something with that much power for a daily driver. LOVED IT. But NOt for a daily driver. I can't even imagine what a 1,000 horsepower car would be like.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just dont understand these modular engines then. My uncle has a twin turbo 427 sbc that makes 800+ hp that he can turn the boost down and runs 550 hp on the.streets getting10-12 mpg. Guess it just doesnt work that way with fords.

Not arguing you guys just seriously don't understand why everything seems so complicated for these modular motors.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I just dont understand engines then.
This is what's going on. You're comparing a 427 to a 4.6. Just that alone is worlds apart. Do you even know what the "427" actually refers to?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
being one of the few that went down the road of turbocharging in a MN12 chassis I will say that the space is tight under the hood. A turbo setup will need to be custom fabricated. There are no kits that will just bolt on. Is it doable? Yes but takes time and lots of cash. I was going the low budget route back then which takes even more time and money. I lost interest in gas motors a while back. there is only one guy w/ a MN12 pushing over 1000hp here and he spent likely 50K+ on building the drivetrain. So exactly how much money do you have to blow on this build?

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
being one of the few that went down the road of turbocharging in a MN12 chassis I will say that the space is tight under the hood. A turbo setup will need to be custom fabricated. There are no kits that will just bolt on. Is it doable? Yes but takes time and lots of cash. I was going the low budget route back then which takes even more time and money. I lost interest in gas motors a while back. there is only one guy w/ a MN12 pushing over 1000hp here and he spent likely 50K+ on building the drivetrain. So exactly how much money do you have to blow on this build?
Who's pushing over 1K HP here? :confused:

BTW, I got mine to the speed of light with a federal grant, a bailout, sponsorship by Enegizer batteries and some other shady dealings with the Russians ... see my sig for how I did it. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
Have a look at David Neibert's setup. He's got a single turbo 347 setup pushing over 700 RWHP on one of his SCs - and that is a low 10 second car at 4200 pounds race weight (his best run so far is 10.04). Keep in mind it's a very different animal with a modular motor - RobertP has a Vortech'd 4.6 pushing 600+ RWHP and is in the 10s, EECDOC (Mike Siska) has an AED 4.6 also in the 10s.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136998

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
A turbo modular mn12 bird has been done.
I saw it.
The turbo is mounted in front of the waterpump.
But the radiator is pushed foward, past the front (body frame radiator support thing) part.
This was a race only car. Stock engine bay sheet metal. It was a really clean set up.
I have no other information on this car.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
Let's also not forget Bill's car. A rear mounted setup, but it was definitely a street car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang and like I said in my other post I got $6500 to spend right now and get a little over a frand put into my Project funds every month. That 347 is pretty cool too

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
You can build a nice DD Bird for $6500.

I'm busy right now but I'm sure others can suggest a build plan for that budget.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Well with 6500$ why not start out small. If you want a turbo so badly. Build a turbo setup for your stock motor. Upgrade the injectors, pump, And some tuning and you can easily gain another reliable 100hp and 150+ ft lbs of torque. Use a single turbo with the room under the hood it is tight. Plumbing twins is a headache I have been thru the trial and errors. Battery in the trunk helps on space. Having a non-abs car gives more room. If you can live without AC you can gain quite a bit of room by ditching the AC plumbing. You can setup a single setup with a T4 style turbo that would give you the ability to swap out the single for a larger single should you build the engine and want more power latter. Its not going to be easy in a mn12. Or go with a blower as with a budget of 6500 you can easily buy a bolt on kit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with 6500$ why not start out small. If you want a turbo so badly. Build a turbo setup for your stock motor. Upgrade the injectors, pump, And some tuning and you can easily gain another reliable 100hp and 150+ ft lbs of torque. Use a single turbo with the room under the hood it is tight. Plumbing twins is a headache I have been thru the trial and errors. Battery in the trunk helps on space. Having a non-abs car gives more room. If you can live without AC you can gain quite a bit of room by ditching the AC plumbing. You can setup a single setup with a T4 style turbo that would give you the ability to swap out the single for a larger single should you build the engine and want more power latter. Its not going to be easy in a mn12. Or go with a blower as with a budget of 6500 you can easily buy a bolt on kit.
I was informed my stock engine isnt that great its a 94 model

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It's not but if it runs it can be force fed and if it breaks or your ready for more power you can have a built 2V dropped in to handle more boost. that is if you stay with a 4.6L 2V

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not but if it runs it can be force fed and if it breaks or your ready for more power you can have a built 2V dropped in to handle more boost. that is if you stay with a 4.6L 2V
Ok thanks. Ive been looking at early 2v's and Pi 2v's the only difference I see is the heads and intake. Am i missing something or is there block differences

1 - 20 of 89 Posts