TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Yeah we dont pull Motors here it was that way when I was 13 14 but after seversl murders and robberies most pick npull places shut down in this county. One left but they pull it and dont Let you into the yard. As for the tranny it only has 4k on a rebuild. I bought the car from a mechanic shop. Family been doing business with him since the 60's...he said if I need anything done call him and hell get me in and give me a good price. Rebuilt or Hyundai engine for the price of parts
As I said, too bad you're way up there.

We have a family that owns a chain of U-Pull-Its in easy driving distance of my house - http://www.uautopullitautoparts.com (there's a commercial that self-plays on that page, don't hit it with the volume up all the way!) is that chain.

There's others in a 100 mile radius also - but they tend to the best managed ones.

Within the range they have, I have about as many others that aren't as well organized, are higher priced, and don't have web based inventory.

Still - car-parts.com will have other options for you for a core.

If you've got the budget you say, I'd pick up a good clean later model PI motor, tear it down, build it back up with the forged internals, and swap it in.

You may need to pick up a separate 94-95 or 96-97 MN12 4.6 to get the right parts off of to make it a quick in-and-out, or just swap over what you need during the swap (former is quicker, latter is cheaper.)

It's what I'd consider if I were you.

With that, you can build it up to closer to 300 RWHP NA. Probably won't get there, but you'll be able to get it ready for a good used Vortech supercharger.

RwP

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I'm surprised you folks are all still posting in this thread.
Just out of curiosity, I googled yesterday what it would take to get 1000HP out of a 4.6L powered car.

The owner of this mustang "ChevyKiller", has about $130K claimed into this car.
http://www.dragzine.com/news/twin-turbo-roush-mustang-aka-chevy-killer-for-sale/
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3140003/2005-ford-mustang

He was letting it all go for a mere 50K but decided against it.
For 130K, I think there are plenty of other cars I'd rather own than a Mustang useful only for quarter mile passes (with no air filters before the turbos, you aren't going to be driving it very far).

-g

·
Registered
91 Super Coupe
1,339 Posts
I just dont understand these mudular engines then. My uncle has a twin turbo 427 sbc that makes 800+ hp that he can turn the boost down and runs 550 hp on the.streets getting10-12 mpg. Guess it just doesnt work that way with fords.
You can do it with a mod motor, it's just a lot easier with a small block pushrod motor (302/331/347) because it takes up less space under the hood and the aftermarket parts you'll need are more abundant. I actually drove mine to work today :D

Here's a link with a curent list of mods and lots of pictures.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=39

Let me know if you have any questions.

David

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You can do it with a mod motor, it's just a lot easier with a small block pushrod motor (302/331/347) because it takes up less space under the hood and the aftermarket parts you'll need are more abundant. I actually drove mine to work today :D

Here's a link with a curent list of mods and lots of pictures.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=39

Let me know if you have any questions.

David
Love this haha Jw but what do you get like 10-12 mpg? Just curious

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Lukeburner. 1000hp is a redicoulous amount of power. Why not aim for a nice 20000 ft lbs increase in torque. That would be double the power the car has now. the one thing about a turbo car is the torque. I had a small ported T3 on my 4.6 in my first cougar with the bone stock PI motor and the when the boost came on it hit like a hammer 0-8 lbs in a blink of an eye and if your foot was in it the tires would break loose on dry pavement. I dont know how it survived it wasnt even tuned right just a FMU dumping fuel. If you do it right 400hp and 500+ likely ft lbs of torque it will still be a fast car. As for tuning your in the northwest there are plenty of shops not far from you just around the corner from me. Horsepower ranch was the place to go back in the day but he sold the dyno and customers to themustangshop. There is horsepower connection in Olympia just up the road from you. Both places deal with modular motors everyday.

·
Registered
91 Super Coupe
1,339 Posts
Love this haha Jw but what do you get like 10-12 mpg? Just curious
I've never actually measured the gas mileage, but I imagine it's probably closer to 7mpg...much worse if you drive it agressively. Seriously...fuel mileage will be the last of your concerns on a car built to make a 1000 HP (at the crank). Your main concerns will be not going to jail, blowing it up or wrecking it. With boost lowered to 15-17 psi I can use 93 octane pump gas and the methanol injection system and it makes about 600 rwhp, which is plenty to smoke the tires at highway speeds.

To race it, I turn the boost up to around 22 psi and use straight C16 race fuel with the methanol injection system turned off and probably burn a half gallon every 1/4 mile pass. It's actually a little scary at that power level.

David

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Oh Im not concerned with mpg really just wondered
Then it won't be a daily driver?

I ask because what you do for a DD is a bit different than for a track queen.

RwP

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Lukeburner. 1000hp is a redicoulous amount of power. Why not aim for a nice 20000 ft lbs increase in torque. That would be double the power the car has now. the one thing about a turbo car is the torque. I had a small ported T3 on my 4.6 in my first cougar with the bone stock PI motor and the when the boost came on it hit like a hammer 0-8 lbs in a blink of an eye and if your foot was in it the tires would break loose on dry pavement. I dont know how it survived it wasnt even tuned right just a FMU dumping fuel. If you do it right 400hp and 500+ likely ft lbs of torque it will still be a fast car. As for tuning your in the northwest there are plenty of shops not far from you just around the corner from me. Horsepower ranch was the place to go back in the day but he sold the dyno and customers to themustangshop. There is horsepower connection in Olympia just up the road from you. Both places deal with modular motors everyday.
i just contacted the mustang shop last night

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
no i want it to be a dd. just dont get good mpgs as is like 14 city at best 17 hwy. i think. at anything below 65 you can watch the gauge drop
A built stock PI motor with a turbo would still be a very streetable setup. I would avoid a wild cam if you want fuel economy. While you are cruising the turbo just spins there robbing nothing. Now if your foot is in it all the time fuel economy is going to suffer. It will all come down to how its tuned.

·
Administrator
14,402 Posts
Yeah I've been thinking about that and I'm not even thinking 1000 anymore.
Believe me, you'd be very happy with 300 to 400 rwhp in a daily driver.

·
Administrator
14,402 Posts
I'm with trunk on that one.
11mpg on e85.

Going to the 1/8 mile track to see if I can hit a 7.30 with the 5.13s.
Cheating again with 112 octain e85.
LOL You and Rob going with the E85... I may just have to "cheat" too and make the switch to E85 since others like their NOS so much.

I need an edge too and E85 may just be it. :tongue:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Anyone remember or know of this tbird?? if i remember correctly, she claimed some pretty big numbers...

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Yeah that owner or previous owners have made some rediculous claims, along with it being "one of the four rare true SVT/SVE Thunderbirds" which it is not. Or the claim that it's a HEMI, also false, and even once If I remember right it was listed as a Dual Over Head Cam with 4 cams per head. :facepalm: I don't trust anything about that bird.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.