TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i had a slow leak on the driver's side front tire, i got to put on the spare tire, take off the centercap, and the bolts are stripped. eventually i get em all off but one, its stripped so bad to where everytime i try to take it off the tire-iron just keeps slipping off. Is there anything i can do besides take it to a shop?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Use a 19mm 6 point socket and a brakerbar

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i went to sears, picked up the sockets, tried to get the lugnuts off and the socket breaks!!!

no problem....i take it to back to sears and get a exchange, i try to take it off again, and it slips...it stripped the bolt even more, i get frustrated and leave the tire alone....a few hours later i try to give it another go, only to find out that my stepdad tried to get it off and the lugnut is completley round, not one edge at all!!

is there anything else i can do besides take it to a shop? is there anyway i can cut the lugnut off or anything?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
ok i went to sears, picked up the sockets, tried to get the lugnuts off and the socket breaks!!!

no problem....i take it to back to sears and get a exchange, i try to take it off again, and it slips...it stripped the bolt even more, i get frustrated and leave the tire alone....a few hours later i try to give it another go, only to find out that my stepdad tried to get it off and the lugnut is completley round, not one edge at all!!

is there anything else i can do besides take it to a shop? is there anyway i can cut the lugnut off or anything?

did you hammer it on all the way first? my oil plug was a pain in the behind. but i took the special socket and hammered it on then it came right off. if you did, then DAMN! did hulk hogan put those nuts on? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Then find you an impact socket that is a smaller diameter than the round lugnut and beat it on there with a BFH. Once on, use a breaker bar and it should pop. I have yet to have one NOT come off using this method. Also works on McGaurd lugs when someone looses the key.

Jay

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
use a dremel and cut it off and get new studs. you're gonna need them anyways

·
Registered
789 Posts
Then find you an impact socket that is a smaller diameter than the round lugnut and beat it on there with a BFH. Once on, use a breaker bar and it should pop. I have yet to have one NOT come off using this method. Also works on McGaurd lugs when someone looses the key.

Jay
THIS DOES WORK!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE!
i was driving home from work and my tire pops again its the same one with the stripped lugnut. this time the tire is just about off of the rim! because of the stripped lugnut i cannot remove the rim, to put the spare tire on ive tried just about everything!

i only have basic tools (socket wrench's, screwdrivers, wrenches and an impact gun) and i dont have the money to take it to a shop right now is there ANYTHING i can do!?!

·
Registered
892 Posts
UPDATE!
i was driving home from work and my tire pops again its the same one with the stripped lugnut. this time the tire is just about off of the rim! because of the stripped lugnut i cannot remove the rim, to put the spare tire on ive tried just about everything!

i only have basic tools (socket wrench's, screwdrivers, wrenches and an impact gun) and i dont have the money to take it to a shop right now is there ANYTHING i can do!?!
At this point it's not going to make a lot of difference. You can't roll it any further. Get destructive. It's your only choice. Sorry.

Brad

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've heard of others taking a cheap socket with some JB weld/Magna Steel and gluing the cheap socket onto the lug nut. Then once it dries you loosen it up. I haven't done this but it sounds like it should work as long as the stuff holds. That JB weld and Magna Steel can be drilled and taped so it is pretty strong.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i've heard of actually welding a socket on there but not using the jb weld. dont see why that wouldnt work though, that stuff is supposed to be really strong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts