TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to change out my starter and my bottom bolt is stripped beyond belief... i tried the bolt extractors, stripped bolt tools, mashing on a smaller socket, to no avail... any other tips...

·
Registered
523 Posts
once i was able to jb weld a nut onto a stripped bolt after it set i was able to break it free
or if you had a welder the same thing would apply

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If its a 10mm, hammer a 6 pt 3/8" socket on it. If its 13mm, hammer on a 1/2".

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The only other thing that I've done in this situation is use my dremel tool to cut the sides of the bolt flat again and this gave the socket enough grip to back it out.

Other than that, you may just have to cut the head off the bolt and back the rest out once you remove the starter. Maybe try some PB Blaster on it before attempting to remove it. Let it sit for a while.

Jay

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Bolt Extractor

They make a quite a few different types of bolt extractors. The kind that is like a socket that digs into what's left of the head of the bolt works very well; sometimes a little heat (torch) helps it to break loose, too. There is also the kind you drill.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Another trick is to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the head, then use an impact driver with a flat tip to reverse it out.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I just had this happen when we did the engine swap to the new car a couple months ago. I got so mad from trying different things that I finally ground the entire head off of the bolt so I could slide the starter off, lol. We tried hammering on smaller sockets first...no dice. Cutting a slot and tried to drive my flat tip socket with a ratchet and it broke the head, so we tried welding a nut on it. It kept breaking the welds so we finally had to grind it off. That deserved a 6 pack for sure. :D

·
Banned
241 Posts
get a wrench that is sligtly big and put it on over the bolt, fill the extra in with wetweld and let dry over night...give it a turn..if its just breaks the wet weld ur gonna need a special tool to remove stripped bolts...5.25 at a hardware store

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yeah for some reason the 5.0 and 3.8 starter bolts seem to be not quite metric size - standard socket fits better. So when people try to take them off with metric sockets they strip out. I usually use the extractor sockets when they get like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts