TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won some matching tires off ebay, and will be stripping my old Miglia 16's down and painting them white to go on my bird instead of the current 18's.

They have some curb rash, so I think some bondo will be in order to smooth them out. What should I use to strip them down to metal? I searched and saw that aircraft stripper works well? Anyone have any tips for this? I will be rattle cannin' them good 'ol WT afterwards, then probly some wheel clear. Any reccomendations on where to get WT spray paint? I'm thinking Advance or Wally world...

-Joel

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sandblaster not available. This will be done with stripper and sandpaper.

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Aircraft stripper is VERY powerful stuff. Be sure to use thick rubber gloves up to your armpits (Well, as long as you can get em anyway :D), and some goggles. Other than that, just follow the instructions on the can.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Just a thought...do you have anyone local to you that can powdercoat? It'll look a lot better and my bet it'd last a lot longer too. I know 1MTNCAT had a set powdercoated silver so they looked original. The guy did them for $40 each if I remember right.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm just looking for a temporary fix. Nothing too special or that expensive. These are my old 16's, so I am just gonna paint em white and slap them on there for winter wheels/temporary fix. Eventually, the car will recieve a hubswap for the wheels I want. I am just gonna sand them with 400 grit and repaint them. Dont use aircraft stripper, it can melt aluminum wheels! Lucky I found that out before I tried it.

-Joel

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sanded the wheels down and shot them with silver paint. They came out very well, but they feel kinda rough. I am going to use some clearcoat on them. Which would be a better idea... using duplicolor wheel clear, or using regular paint clear? Any thoughts?

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
when you rattle can, you should get one of those things that snaps on the top of the cans and you can use it as a gun... it works... well. lol, when i finish my dash pieces thats what i'm gonna use.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when you rattle can, you should get one of those things that snaps on the top of the cans and you can use it as a gun... it works... well. lol, when i finish my dash pieces thats what i'm gonna use.
Dont really know what that has to do with the clear on my wheels, but thanks for that valuable tip.:rolleyes: I think I just may have done a little more rattle can work than you bud. You will be amazed this weekend, when you view my creation for the first time.:rofl:

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
hey, not disrespecting teh purtyness... just saying, that i found its easier to do it with the handle thingie... lol. calm down and go have a cookie. i may employ your services to help me dye my dash at mikes house, if he ever gets back to me on a price for the interior i want.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts