TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided that since I never use my a/c that I'm going to strip out as many components of it as I can. What I want to ask is that if I strip all the a/c lines out of the compresser will the pulley still spin at the correct speed if I leave it as a free spinning pulley?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,432 Posts
Yup. It free wheels anyway with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured since I have most of the front end disassembled to replace the water pump, power steering pump, and thermostat I should start getting rid of things I don't really want. I wasn't sure if the pulley would still function properly without the compressed attached so I figured I'd at least tear the a/c lines out.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
The lines weigh almost nothing, the compressor is where the weight is. If you are going to leave the compressor, you might as well leave everything there since the car would have a better resale value with the A/C intact, even if it isn't working. If you are going to strip it out, you can either get an idler pulley for a diesel F250 to bolt in its place, or you can modify the tensioner to tension the other way, and then install a shorter belt to bypass where the compressor would have been. See this thread for part numbers and instructions on the idler pulley method
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?90446-ac-delete-made-eazy-with-part-s&highlight=ac+delete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MadMikeyL for that link, I think I'm going to go with rerouting the belt and removing the compresser all together since someone listed the part number for the smaller belt.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
That is how I have it set up in my SC as well. Keep in mind, you will also have to modify the tensioner since it will now need to tension the other way.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Kinda moot though, the compressor is the heaviest component of the A/C system:zdunno:
Weight isnt the only benefit to removing the AC system .. that full length AC condensor in front of the tiny radiator and intercooler is a nice thing to get out of the way also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey MadMikeyL do you have the belt number for the one your using? The number that's in the link is a Gates K080535 but there is no mention of what year SC its for.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
No, sorry I don't. I have an underdrive crank pulley too, so when I did it I just measured the length with a string and ordered the closest size I could get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MadMikeyL thanks for all the info, looks like I'm going to have to try my original plan of using the stock ac compresser components to make an idler pulley before trying to measure out a new belt.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts