TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look guys im sure ill get a :gotsearch here but i have what im wondering is if the 3.8 and 4.2 blocks are the same and if i can use a 4.2 crank in the 3.8 ,and is the 4.2 and 3.8 cams the same or will i get better power with a 4.2 cam of if any of this is possible?????? the problem is i have a rod knocking BADD! and it sounds like i have a barring about to lap,(im my newly rebulit engine,which i did not build) and seeing how im going to be taking this thing apart i guess i should go on and do this stuff now. and 1 more thing will i need to pull the entire engine or just jack it up and crawl under???
appericate the help guys .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did, if i used proper puncuation u could see,but thats not the topic , so , i could use the crank and cam from a 4.2 in the 3.8 block and how many of you guys have ever done this or tried it??

·
Registered
466 Posts
the cam's will work I believe, but the crank wont. I read over on V6power and they said it wouldnt. It would probably help you more to go to v6power forums since they have had mroe people do this sorta thing than on tccoa.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
the crank WILL work, just need to clearance the block around the weights... easiest thing to do is buy a new crank from ford (less than $300) and put it in the block and see where you will hit. Then gring away the areas

·
Registered
466 Posts
Litning said:
the crank WILL work, just need to clearance the block around the weights... easiest thing to do is buy a new crank from ford (less than $300) and put it in the block and see where you will hit. Then gring away the areas

well i was just going by what I read on v6power :) I beleive you jsut solved my problems Litning....thanks for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
your welcome..

ps, I do have a set of 4.2 rods for sale if interested...some have pistons

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well tell me in your opnion what would be the best thing for me to do in this case. i have a mortal engine problem with the rods i do plan to rebulid it even if i use another engine in my bird, i have others around here that could use engines. would it be easier to just swap over to a 4.2 and if so where could i go to have the swap done by some one who knows haw to do this swap. i would do it myself but im not really going to have the time to do it this summer because of work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts