TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the bottom nut out but cannot get the bolt beat out of the assembly. is there something i am missing that is holding it in place or is it just the pressure from the spring? if its the pressure do i need to put my spring compressor on it to take some off? thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Eeesh.
Been there before, not a fun place. Others on here have said to put a jack underneath the control arm and take some of the load off, and that will make it easier.
I had a bunch of rust inbetween the strut and the bolt and had to cut mine off.
Do you have a torch?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i have a gallon of wd i've been using and my bfh (28oz framing hammer) i guess i'll keep soaking it and see what happens. i'm really suprised the nuts came off as well as they did but i guess i have been soaking them daily for a couple weeks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Break the "flag" off the bolt side of it, put a 6 point socket on there with a breaker bar, or impact gun if you have air, and break it free so it spins. A combination of this, penetrating oil, and a BFH should get it out, although it may take some time.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no good on the last suggestion. i had a wrench on it and could twist the bolt about a 1/16'th of a rotation without the threaded end turning. any other suggestions? a torch is not available

·
Registered
401 Posts
Actually, torch is a bad idea, you will burn the rubber bushing in the lower control arm. I say keep at it. Get a longer breaker bar, it WILL turn. Sometimes the hole on the bottom of the strut gets crushed, and you have to kinda unscrew it.
If worst comes to worst, go buy a new LCA.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sledge hammer, lol.

Seriously though, that’s what I ended up using. Mine was rusted in there REALLY good. I used penitents, tried turning the bolt and eventually rounded the head using an extension bar, regular size hammer, nothing worked. It was BFH time!

And yea, I put a jack under the arm to relive some pressure.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how did you fit a breaker bar on it? where you under the car? i don't seem to have any room to pull that off

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I did mine, I only had a problem with one side. I used a lift and air tools, which helped ALOT. I have taken them out in the driveway also, but I don't recall having trouble with the breaker bar....I might have used a short extension too. The important part here is using a 6 point socket, otherwise it won't grip the bolt.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Angle grinder that bolt off

I would use an angle grinder and shave the head off! I have been saved by that before with those factory funny shaved corner bolts not being easy to remove.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well as we sit now i put a puller on the bolt to extract it and succeeded in pulling the inner sleeve with it. but on the bright side moog has replacement bushings so its just a matter of cutting out the rest and hammering the other in. its been done by a friend of mine but to make it easier than how he did it i will be freezing the bushing for the next couple days and when i'm reading to install them i will heat the arm with my lil propane torch :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had to torch mine off last time...absouletly NOTHING worked. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the bushing so a new LCA went in (on both sides)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts