TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new aftermarket strut rod bushings for both ends (all rubber from Checkers). I have read that the ferrules are not good. I dont want to make things worse for myself by using something that could fail. Should I bother using the new bushing kit. Can I reuse the Ford ferrules with new aftermarket rubber? Is it a good idea to mix old ferrules with new rubber?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can I reuse the Ford ferrules with new after market rubber?
I don't think that the larger O.D. OEM Ford ferrule will fit inside an after market bushing. I once checked a set of TRW bushings, and only the smaller half of the Ford ferrule would go through the bushings. Both halves of the TRWs are the same ID... too small for the larger half of the Ford ferrule. Also, most after market bushings are a smaller O.D. than the Fords.

Ford bushings (just the rubbers) can be had for about $14.00 a side. It's the best way to go. I'm still using mine as a daily driver, and get about 100k out of a set before they star getting soft. Never had a Ford set chew up... only after market bushings.
Is it a good idea to mix old ferrules with new rubber?
I've done it without ill effects... your mileage may vary. Just make certain that the small ends of the ferrules aren't mushroomed out. Check that the halves when put together slide freely, and there are no sharp edges or burrs.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

·
It is nice
885 Posts
if your talking about the metal cylinder piece "tube" on the aftermarket ones; that is built into the ford bushings the rubber surrounds them. I suppose you can cut or burn them out from the old ones though?? lmao

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the tube part is the issue at hand :)

I will wait til the lower control arms come in from SCP before I do this project but I would like to know ahead of time how I should proceed. Should I just return the kits? I'd like to even try to see how it fits together though. :confused: I'd like to hear something more definitive but any advice is great to hear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will wait til the lower control arms come in from SCP before I do this project but I would like to know ahead of time how I should proceed. Should I just return the kits?
I would. As I said in an earlier post, I had a set that weren't Ford. The cheap ferrules chewed up the insides of the bushings. Ford bushings I've replaced just get "mushy" over time. The strut rod is how caster is adjusted on the car. Replacing the bushings will call for an alignment. Good bushings and a good setup will keep the caster angle set properly. Worn bushings won't hold it in alignment. When caster is off between sides, the car wants to drift to one side when you let go of the wheel. Or worse, it may pull to one side when you hit the brakes hard.

If funds permit, you may want to hold on to the bushings you bought for now, buy the Ford rubber replacement bushings, and see for yourself once you tear it down. You've usually got 30 days to return parts from the major chains. With the old ones out, new Ford as well as after market replacements all lined up, you'll know what's best. You'll have your bushings "all in a row" then. :D

That is all...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
turn around go back , return bushings then contact the parts guy here who sell oe ford stuff and get the right parts and do it right. the after market ones for these cars are crap

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yep. I just ordered a set of front strut rod bushings @ the frame. I've tried poly and the junk Moogs. Moog bushings lasted 1 week-2 months max. The poly hasn't exploded after a year or so but they are getting loose. So that's $70.00 wasted on 2 sets of strut rod bushings over a couple years. About the price for ONE side from Ford.

The question here is whether a lifetime warranty on cheap parts from a parts store is worth a turd if you have to use it? Use it over and over to be more accurate.

I can swap those bushings in about an hour or less now. Practice makes perfect. It's better to fix the car right once. Buy genuine Ford bushings.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help

I will return those bushing kits, but I think its been longer than 30 days. I dont know if they will take them back but I will try. :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rear strut bushngs

I too tried some aftermarket hard bushings. They split.
I replaced with Ford bushings but the counterman said not to bother with the longer one on the rear. Just use the short one for both.
After about 20k I've got a rattle.
Haven't checked yet but could it be the short bushing on the rear getting worn?
Anyone done this?
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts