TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had a front poly bushing kit put in from SCP and a few months later had a clunk and had them look at the front end. The strut rod bushings (frame side) weren't the culprit but at the time the mechanic said they fit funny and had some slack.

So I took it in a few days ago to have them replaced with what everyone is recommending, the Ford OEM bushings.

Strut Rod Bushing Kit Frame Side: E9SZ3A187A

The shop called me and said it would be a few days until they got them, they were being shipped from Texas because Ford (dont know what dealer but I'll ask him) told him this bushing part number is now discontinued.

can anyone verify that it has/has not been discontinued from Ford?

That would really suck if it was discontinued since it apparently is the only one that is correctly made.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
From what I understand, the kit has been discontinued but you can still get the individual pieces of the kit separately.

Joe

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I ordered the bushing kit (2) from the dealer yesterday. I'm not sure if it was that part number, but I'll let you know when I pick them up...

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea let me know what the part number is. I got the part number here;

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=99795

It is possible its the kit with bushings and washers and maybe you can get the bushings without the washers, would be nice to know for sure how to order these and if the kit is discontinued what is the part number for the bushings?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Oh, by the way, I was quoted $113 for each kit (I ordered 2). CDN that is.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, by the way, I was quoted $113 for each kit (I ordered 2). CDN that is.
Woah, last I heard about a year ago they were $70 per kit from Ford so I'll see when I pick up my car today. He didn't tell me the price but the quote for parts & labor was $227 (both sides) a year ago when they first told me about the issue with the bushings.

I just wanted to find out for sure so the suspension bushings thread can be updated if things have changed.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=99795

I may fire off an email to Bill at SCP and let him know about the problem with the poly bushings, maybe he can have whoever is making them take another look and redesign them to fit correctly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Indeed this is the parts I received today. They had no problem getting them here in two days.

Pricey?, yes. Still available new from Ford?, yes. Worth it, according to lots of stories?, yes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The kits are no longer in production, according to Courtesy Ford in Portland, but there are sources. I am ordering the frame-side bushings from fordpartsgiant.com. Less than $40, including shipping. They also show the kit available. If the bushings alone aren't enough, I'll be ordering the kit. Hopefully I can avoid that; it's not cheap!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok this is what I found out. I pulled out my old estimate and it was $227 for 2 kits, no labor.

Now they are quoting me around $124 per kit.

You could go with just the bushings if the shaft and washers are in good shape still. The issue with the aftermarket bushings is they are one piece pop-in bushings. The Ford kits are a 2 piece bushing with a steel sleeve that goes through the bushings and washers on either end. the aftermarket bushings don't have the steel sleeve so they aren't as sturdy and have a lot more give.

The brilliant service writer only ordered one kit for me thinking it was a kit for both sides and didn't bother checking with Ford or asking. So now I have to wait until I get back from Utah to have that done.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I paid $113 per side yesterday. And I know a guy in parts who as far as I could tell gave me a bit of a deal....

Hmmm... my strut rod to frame bushings actually look good. Should I leave them and save some cash or should I replace them? 80K miles on them... but they look excellent! There is no noise from the front end either.

Most of the other bushings are visibly shot (cracked, etc.) so I plan on replacing the rest, but these actually look good!

So how do these compare to the bushings you guys have? Do yours look worse?

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they look fine and would just hold onto the new ones you got for now. One problem they have which happened to mine is power steering leaks dripped on the drivers side bushing and ate it away. It literally liquefied the bushing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So I dismantled my car yesterday and it turns out there are some very tiny cracks in the rubber. Since I have the $226 bushing kits (2), I've decided to replace the bushings since I'm replacing every other bushing in the front end (aside from the sway bar bushings).

I got the rest of my bushings today from the dealer so I will start putting that side back together later today... wish me luck LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok so assuming someone wanted to change all the strutrod bushings on a MN12 car and the kit isnt avaialble anymore

can someone list what parts are available, the cost and part number?

and are any aftermarket suspension parts proven to be durable for these cars, tempted to
buy stuff from SCP but dont want to put that parts on only to have to replace with OEM later

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
You'll probably have to go to Ford and see exactly what parts you can get.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll probably have to go to Ford and see exactly what parts you can get.

Joe
This is the best suggestion I can think of.

Check and see if the bushings alone have separate part numbers. I just cant see having to replace the whole kit every time, the bushings and washers and the sleeve unless they were severely damaged. But some times that's just how they package them.

Check the new bushing and see if there is a number on it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
These kits are still available, I bought mine last Friday from the local dealer. Who keeps spreading that rumor that these kits are obsolete. They are not obsolete people!!

The bushings do have separate part numbers and AFAIK are available. My ferrules are rusted together so I bought the kit, I had no choice.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
These kits are still available, I bought mine last Friday from the local dealer. Who keeps spreading that rumor that these kits are obsolete. They are not obsolete people!!
Well, I asked Jon (93lx) about this in the fall when the rumors started. He checked for me and said they are indeed discontinued. I just checked the Tasca Ford site for the number and it came back as obsolete.

The kits might be still out there, but I think once they're gone they're gone!

Joe

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OK, well I suppose they could be discontinued. I'm merely sharing my very recent experience that leads me to think otherwise.....?! My dealer didn't say anything though about them being obsolete...

Fortunately I shouldn't need to replace the bushings again as long as I own the car. I think it's highly unlikely I'll still have it 15 years from now ;-)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I dont see the big fuss i use the moog kit and they work fine ,I get an occasional clunk but hell its a 14 yr old car im not expecting it to be quiet.If i had to choose any sound id like to go away would be my doors squeeking at every bump.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts