TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm helping someone with their newly purchased tbird and the strut rod sleeve is superglued to the lca with rust. Heat is not an option because of all the rubber, but my mechanic friend told me to take a deep breath.. :eek:. Its also not a good idea to heat suspension parts too much.

I tried pounding but the rubber seems to absorb the hits. My next idea is to start drilling or dremeling out the bushing. Any ideas?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
the only sleeve for the strut rod bushings are at the frame. the lca end of the strut rod should only be the bushings themselves.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the only sleeve for the strut rod bushings are at the frame. the lca end of the strut rod should only be the bushings themselves.
There is a metal tube or shell in the bushings thats holding it in. I guess its best for the arm and the strut rod to come out - The arm to frame bushings look squashed. Just extra work. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
No, there's a metal sleeve at the arm; at least on the aftermarket ones I have.

The Moog blue ones.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
No, there's a metal sleeve at the arm; at least on the aftermarket ones I have.

The Moog blue ones.
right. i sold a set of lca bushings a while back that had those sleeves. i think they were trw's. i was referring to the factory frame bushings that have a sleeve with a lip on it.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm rebuilding the front suspension on the Cougar and have run into a bit of a snag I'd like some second opinions on before proceeding. The strut rod is too important a component to take a hacksaw to.

The LCA side strut rod bushings are, as many of you know, two pieces of rubber molded around a steel sleeve. Unfortunately the steel sleeves in the original bushings on the passenger side have rusted - completely and wholly - to the strut rod. The rubber fell off the metal sleeves when I removed the LCA; the sleeve from the rear bushing has mostly rusted away but the sleeve on the front is still intact (yet completely rusted to the strut rod). I can't break it free - not using vise-grips to spin it or PB B'laster or heat. Strangely enough however, the driver's side was perfectly clean and smooth. :confused:

I'm down to either using a grinder to grind the rusty sleeves off or using a saw or cutoff wheel along with a chisel to try and chip them off. I'd hate to remove the entire arm and replace it.

Suggestions? Tips?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Take a cut off wheel to it, but becareful not to cut the threads up, then chisel it off, the same thing happend to me a month ago

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Be sure to keep all the original washers. :)

There are few of the oem bushings left, and no kits...

·
Administrator
8,216 Posts
I sprayed mine down good with Blaster and used a hammer on the washer to work it down. It eventually came off.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Hrm, thanks fellas. I'm gonna take a cutoff wheel to the durn'd things now and see where that gets me. Hopefully I can get this all buttoned up today.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Excellent! Spent maybe 20 minutes on them with a cutoff wheel and managed to get them off without much issue. Now it's time to play the "waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my parts" game. :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Makes me wonder what people will end up doing in a few years to fix the tension strut bushings. When no OEM bushings even exist. Someone might think of somnething better but who knows. Funny how I see clean strut rods in the junkyard but even I think they aren't going to come off to be reusable. My care has zero rust on them and the 2 sleeves were still seized up. Makes me think a junk yard donor is next to impossible to pull with out ruining them.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Makes me wonder what people will end up doing in a few years to fix the tension strut bushings. When no OEM bushings even exist. Someone might think of somnething better but who knows. Funny how I see clean strut rods in the junkyard but even I think they aren't going to come off to be reusable. My care has zero rust on them and the 2 sleeves were still seized up. Makes me think a junk yard donor is next to impossible to pull with out ruining them.
Huh.

I grabbed two a while back.

Maybe I ought to start grabbing them out of the yards when I get a chance? They seem to come out easy enough here - some whacking and cussing to get them free to begin with, but they DO come off in one (well, two) pieces.

Guess it's time to start listing what I have extra for sale, eh? :diablo:

RwP

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
It is sad that only the OEM bushings work correctly. There are a few aftermarket options but if they don't look into the fitment/design problems and fix it everyone is going to have a clunking front end.

I was thinking this same thing last night about the trunk lid lights, that's one junkyard only part (for new ones anyways) plus a lot of the interior pieces are all gone now. If we want to keep everything working as intended or better we're going to have to be creative. Some day you wont be able to find much in the junkyards to pick through.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
I really should buy a pair of the frame side kits before stock is depleted. Eventually I'm going to need them. The LCA side bushings and frame side bushings are still readily available from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Yes it's the hardware that's getting hard to find. You can buy the bushings separately.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I really should buy a pair of the frame side kits before stock is depleted. Eventually I'm going to need them. The LCA side bushings and frame side bushings are still readily available from what I've read.
If anything, it seems to me there's too much choice in the LCA side. You have to understand what you're going for.. I want the things to give me close as possible to the original ride.. that would SEEM to be the OE design, not the poly which I would expect to be great for modders. OTOH, I hate being tempted by the 8 dollar 'generic' kits. When money's tight, that's always a worry.

Confession: I only replaced the nut end 'with the generics' on my last car, which worked fine to fix 'brake application swerve' Guess I really aint all that picky.
:eek:
Before THAT one, I used PBlaster, hammer tapping with backup to loosen, then a small {finer tooth} pipe wrench to work the sleeves off. Then I sanded the rusted area well, and coated lightly with lithium grease.

BTW: I was a denizen of the old Mustang Mailling list back in mid-eighties.. guess what a major topic was THEN:
"Our cars are twenty freakin years old! What do we do in ten years or so when we want to fix our 65's.. where we gonna get the parts?!!!!"
- need I say more! :D

And I would bet that there's options available for the frame side bushing/ rubber.. not like that's a unique application. May have to modify them a little but hey..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts