TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strut Rod Bushings are shot again (2 years). I don't remember what brand these were, but they Suck.

What are the best recommended Brand on these since Ford ones are long gone?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went with the Quick Steer improved design bushings. Quick steer is owned by Federal Mogul, which also owns Moog. These were cheaper than Moog but they feel just as good. I got them off of rock auto. The material used to make the bushings isn't listed but it feels like polyurethane.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Agreed, ford parts only for this location, and the bushings are still available. The part that is no longer available is the strut rod bushing sleeve, however if yours is destroyed, there is a member on here who sells a stainless steel re-usable one, which is pricey, but you will never have issues with it again.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed, ford parts only for this location, and the bushings are still available. The part that is no longer available is the strut rod bushing sleeve, however if yours is destroyed, there is a member on here who sells a stainless steel re-usable one, which is pricey, but you will never have issues with it again.
Well now I feel like I screwed up. Has anyone tried the ones I got or is it a general consensus that you should only use ford?

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Many people have tried those ones. The polyurethane is not an appropriate material there because it has to flex as the suspension moves up and down, and poly cracks instead of flexing. You need ones made out of rubber, and so far no aftermarket supplier has made rubber ones.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,493 Posts
The material used to make the bushings isn't listed but it feels like polyurethane.
Thermoplastic. Same thing as poly basically but these seem even more notoriously failure prone.

Any of you thinking long term on this? People have managed to get first gen Mustang(65-73) Polys to work before on these, so it should be possible to use their abundantly available rubber ones..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thermoplastic. Same thing as poly basically but these seem even more notoriously failure prone.

Any of you thinking long term on this? People have managed to get first gen Mustang(65-73) Polys to work before on these, so it should be possible to use their abundantly available rubber ones..
Should I return these and buy the ford ones, or use them for the time being

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Should I return these and buy the ford ones, or use them for the time being
Q: Do you have a deal on alignment or will you DIY that yourself? Since changing the frame side strut rod bushings will change caster, unless you have some kind of free lifetime alignment deal, I would just buy the Ford ones.
-g

·
Banned
575 Posts
Is there anything to replace aftermarket wise that helps prolong the life of these bushings? I also too have to change mine and it will only be every mn12 ive owned now.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is there anything to replace aftermarket wise that helps prolong the life of these bushings? I also too have to change mine and it will only be every mn12 ive owned now.

I just learned yesterday from the others that aftermarket isn't good in this situation, try to get OEM rubber ones. XR7 told me 66 stang ones should work so I ordered a set of those cause they seem to be cheaper are a lot easier to find.

There is a link posted by RaceCougar if you go up with more info on this

1 - 15 of 15 Posts