TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to start another thread guys but this is a totally different ?

I got the $200+ strut rod kit from Ford because I was having a hell of a time getting the bushings out and I kinda ruined the "ferrules" getting it apart.

The FSM says the inner ferrule needs to be shorter than the outer ferrule and to cut up to .25" off. Cutting exactly .25" off would make the inner ferrule still 1/16" longer than the outer one. Is it because the new forward-most frame bushings is slightly different design/bigger than the original one? I am not sure if the original bushing is shorter because of wear (appears so) but does the FSM want me to cut the sleeves as a design correction? Why wouldn't they just sell the correct part?

Inner sleeve = 2 7/8" long
Outer = 2 11/16"
Sleeves interlocked = 3" long with 5/16" of the inner sleeve exposed

Thing is, the Ford replacement ferrules are exactly the same length as the originals. Why do I need to cut it if they are exactly the same as the ones I pulled out?

Since it was such a PITA to remove the frame bushings I want to prevent this problem with the ferrule in the future...should I use anti-seize where the slide together?

Also, I got this silicone grease for the swaybar bushings, should I grease metal surfaces where the bushings contact the frame and at the LCA?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
well i can't be of any help, i have 5 birds all of which have bad strut rod bushings, i'll be having a bushing swap party shortly, maybe they'll give me a discount for purchasing 10 sets at one time? you know like a group purchase by myself lol

i remember when my blue moog strut rod bushing split on my red sc while i was coming off the interstate on ramp onto another interstate (I-55 to I-12 ramp) , if it wasn't for my evasive/precision driving training i would not be typing this reply now neither would the passengers in the vehicle in the lane next to me.

as you stated you have the ford oem bushings... good purchase

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Since it was such a PITA to remove the frame bushings I want to prevent this problem with the ferrule in the future...should I use anti-seize where the slide together?

Also, I got this silicone grease for the swaybar bushings, should I grease metal surfaces where the bushings contact the frame and at the LCA?
Anti seize goes on any metal to metal interface, rotors, wheels, sleeves, the lower shock bolt, etc. I would never reassemble a car without that, I don't care if its a year old or 50 years old. In an area where salt is used its even more critical.

Silicon grease can't hurt, but after a few months it will probably wear off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts