TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I was chasing my vibration I noticed the big washer was loose on both sides. I tried to tighten the nuts but no - go. The rubber against the frame looks good. Is that washer normally loose or do I need to replace those bushings?
Found the NAPA part number in some threads: NCZ2748712

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
That means the rubber has shrank.

If you can disassemble it, and the sleeve slides apart, replace the rubber with Ford parts.

If not, the sleeve is Disco, so there are only expensive options for that sleeve.

I'd see if it comes apart, if not, I'd tighten the **** out of it. You'll be crushing the sleeve, which is already done to a certain extent, most likely.
(That's why it won't come apart)

If the Napa bushing has a sleeve, and the rubber is thermoplastic, buy ford bushings, and use Napa's sleeve.

The Thermoplastic 'rubber' disintegrates pretty easily, you should be able to search here for fails.

I think I bought the last set of Ford stuff, and that was Years ago.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
:surprise:

Holy crap!

I be Afro-engineering something after I use the set I have. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts

Holy crap!

Now, now.

The "PC" term is "High Recyclability Reverse Engineering".

Unless, like me, you can claim part Scottish blood.

Or that your blood is part Scotch, anyway :diablo:

Then it's "Scottish Engineering".

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Now, now.

RwP
You're absolutely correct; I've been trying to purge that term from my vocabulary for years. :(

At least I didn't use the OG term. :facepalm:

Id' have deleted it, if you hadn't quoted me, but I deserve to be called out on it; my bad.

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. :)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
"Que se valla asi" is what my dad would say.

I hated all the mickey-mouse **** he'd do. Part of the reason why I'm such a perfectionist, lol. I hate half-assing **** because of him.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts

Holy crap!

Now, now.

RwP
You're absolutely correct; I've been trying to purge that term from my vocabulary for years. :(

At least I didn't use the OG term. :facepalm:

Id' have deleted it, if you hadn't quoted me, but I deserve to be called out on it; my bad.

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. :)
'Course, if you could prove you're a close African descendent, you COULD claim it anyway! :tongue: >:)

RwP

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have Dorman bushings on my SC. Put a few hundred miles on the car with a lot of spirited drives and hard stops and they look fine and are still tight. They are rubber, not thermoplastic like the other options. I know Ill probably get **** for having them and even recommending them but they seem to be good in my experience. I have sites posted that give a decent amount of info for anyone who may want to look at them, though Summit has them for cheapest atm.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-Ford-Thunderbird-Lincoln-Mark-VIII-Cougar-Front-Strut-Rod-Bushing-531-605/362469220607?hash=item5464d960ff:g:YZsAAOSwKEFb0TRH:rk:8:pf:0&vxp=mtr

https://www.newparts.com/product/dorman-oe-solutions-ford-thunderbird-lincoln-mark-viii-cougar-front-strut-rod-bushing-dorman-531-605

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/dorman/531605/

·
Registered
461 Posts
One piece, they werent a flat piece of steel that was folded with a seam like the others when I got them. Though on summit they are pictured with that style.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
'Course, if you could prove you're a close African descendent, you COULD claim it anyway! :tongue: >:)

RwP
I couldn't be whiter if you bleached me, thus the "I need to lose that word" comment. :)

One piece, they werent a flat piece of steel that was folded with a seam like the others when I got them. Though on summit they are pictured with that style.
I'm with Matt; I'll buy a set of those just for the sleeves.

Don't get rid of the stock washers, you'll want to keep those. :)

I think those are the thermoplastic bushings, the set I bought WBW had split sleeves, that disintegrated as did the bushings. :(

There's a Lot of stress on those.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Scott, you really need an impact gun to tighten those, or at least I do. There is too much movement on that bar to get any torque with hand tools. If you get in a pinch, bring the car over and you can tighten them up with my impact gun. To give you an idea of how hard they are to tighten, IIRC it took like 30 seconds to fully remove or install one of those nuts with the impact gun wide open, with the nut slowly turning.

And like everyone will tell you, DON'T use poly for those bushings. The PO installed poly bushings on my car (or his shop did), and one of them wants to make creaking sounds in the Winter. Now that I know where the sound comes from, I have been spraying them with lithium, which helps.

Al

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

RwP
I couldn't be whiter if you bleached me, thus the "I need to lose that word" comment. :)
I'm 10% African! You wouldn't ever guess it if you saw me though, LMAO.

·
Registered
408 Posts
So shiny, I would have thought they're typical thermo, but Dorman says they're rubber: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-96768-531-605.aspx?origin=keyword

The question is, what quality of rubber? Time will tell I reckon.

I installed my new Ford OEM's some years ago with a hand torque wrench.. while on my back.. and didn't end up with the rod twisted out of alignment. PITA w/o a lift, but it can be done. Folks in the rust belt will probably need an impact driver just to bust the nuts loose in the first place, though.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
These could actually be rubber, as it says; according to my book, I put a set of Dormans on the Red Cougar in about 2004, and they died within 6 months.
(I keep a book with all my mods and replacement parts, so I know what works, what sux, and what's on what car.)

I Replaced them with factory stuff, after I joined here about that time.

I thought I posted on it, but I can't find one. :zdunno:

I had to go to the JY to get the washers, thus my comment above.
I also took those bushings, rods, etc, but they were wasted when I looked at them years later.

They've made changes; the sleeves were cheap thin sheetmetal, and the washers and bushings were crap also.
They were not rubber, they were hard plastic, so this is different.
Hell, it's been over 10 years; If everyone else had the same experience I did then, they HAD to change. :)

If the bushings are intact, but loose, I'd absolutely hit it with an impact and tighten it up.
You'll be destroying the sleeves to get them out, so I would avoid that if not totally necessary.

I put a piece of hard leather between the strut rod flats, and a big pipe wrench, and stuff the end of the pipe wrench into the ground, so it won't move.
The leather keeps from putting stress risers into the arm, and DO NOT put the wrench near any of the bends, just the straight section.

The alignment is really set by the center of the two nuts, so if it's loose, I'd measure the distance, and move both nuts toward the center, if possible.

This is ******* hard to do, as you can't get an impact on the inner nut. :)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm 10% African! You wouldn't ever guess it if you saw me though, LMAO.
Was this from 23andme or a geneological study?
If it was some family tree work, well, there's got to be some rounding going on. :)
1 grandparent = 1/4 = 25%
1 great grandparent = 1/8 = 12.5%
1 great great grandparent = 6.25%

You'd have to have some mix from multiple GGP lines in order to get a number that approximates 10%.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
My genealogy is really fucked up; I have an American Indian a few generations back (1800s), on both sides of my family tree, lol.

:)

Remember, none of us are from here, even me. :D

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Rockauto has the Dorman 531-605 for about 25$ shipped. I bought a set; planning on replacing the rest of my Cougars front end this winter. If they look like junk, or are thermoplastic, I will get a hold of the OE Motorcraft or buy the SCP kit.
I will give an update when they come in.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
The bushings without the sleeves were available last I looked, but it's been awhile.

I hope you can get something good.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts