TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'got to thinking.....if sir William did it with his 4.6 (i believe) whats stopping us 3.8 guys? (except forged internals blah blah blah) i mean sts is suppouse to be a really universal turbo system so do we got some ideas? :confused: :D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
You could build your own setup on the cheap. Find a suitable turbo...master power is a good place to look. you don't even need STS you can buy a scavenge pump for about 200$ and run some oil lines the lenght of the car. But for the money buying a V8 car would net you more performance and reliability for less work.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could build your own setup on the cheap. Find a suitable turbo...master power is a good place to look. you don't even need STS you can buy a scavenge pump for about 200$ and run some oil lines the lenght of the car. But for the money buying a V8 car would net you more performance and reliability for less work.

scavenge pump for about 200$ no they are more then that mine was allmost 400 but i bought the best one they had and it was only 60 buck more then the cheep one

they are well worth the money

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Depends on the brand. There are turbowerx pumps on Ebay for $230 I had one that I bought for 200 one time and a few others have had pumps that ran less. Reliability? Well that all depends theres no saying when a motor will short out. I'm sure quality does come into play but even those 1000$ STS brand pumps can fail.

Personally I don't like remote mount setups. I don't like relying on a noisy little pump to return oil to the motor. Besides on a 3.8L there is room under the hood to place a single turbo. It will take a little more work but in the end the cost can even be cheaper since you don't need a pump and 20' of oil lines.

It would also be 100x easier to just buy a SC and then ditch the blower for a turbo as you would have a strong motor and EFI setup for a boosted car.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Wasn't SW's car as slow as a stock Bird too? And if I remember right, or at least the last time I seen, he only got like 2 psi due to all of the leaks.

STS kits are cool in concept, and they sound amazing, but in the end, you're still having to pressurize 10+' of piping.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't SW's car as slow as a stock Bird too? And if I remember right, or at least the last time I seen, he only got like 2 psi due to all of the leaks.

STS kits are cool in concept, and they sound amazing, but in the end, you're still having to pressurize 10+' of piping.
so sombody has already done this? and got like no hp gains?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
plenty have seen gains with remote mounting. However you would be better served putting the turbo under the hood as there is room. If you really want to go with a turbo you would be better off ditching that NA 3.8 car and buying a supercoupe and ditching the blower for a turbo. The SC will have forged internals and a managment/fuel system already setup for a boosted motor. Trying to upgrade that NA 3.8 to handle boost will be alot of waste money compared to just buying an SC.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o ok

·
Registered
652 Posts
so, would there be gains usin this method if someone was to ditch the SC for a remote mounted turbo?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If thew boost was turned up above the stock level and the ecu was tuned correctly. I would still rather put the turbo under the hood which would eliminate the need for a scavenge pump and 20' of oil lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts