TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..........been a while, which is good cause that means she's been running like a champ..........that is, until yesterday.

I'm having an issue with the Thunderbird wanting to stall when I come to a stop (i.e. red light, stop sign), where it feels like it wants to shut off. The RPM's drop down to about 400-500, and unless I shift it into Neutral, it'll continue to do it; I haven't let it shut off yet though. It almost feels like the car had a bigger cam in it with that stumbling.

When I finally put her in Park when I get home or work or whatever, it'll do the same thing................what do you think it can be? MAF, fuel filter, some type of sensor??

I've had a check engine light since I bought the car 20K miles ago............no problems at all enginewise...............should I run a code check to see what I get?

help
thanks,
JC

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Could be the IAC valve , or a broken vacuum line .

Yeah get the code read first .

Most likely its the IAC valve because a vacuum leak will throw a code .

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
If it suddenly quits idling at all on a cold morning, it's the IAC...

I just replaced one with the same symptoms, early on.

It got progressively worse, until it gave up for good, in rush hour traffic...

It also seemed to cause an intermittent system rich CEL...

·
5,650 Posts
I agree that it could be the IAC. When you are in park/neutral, the engine has a very small load and the IAC doesn't need to open very much. In drive/reverse, the load increases substantially for the engine at idle and the IAC must open more, and if it's getting stuck it can't do this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Amazing, I have the same problems. I will try cleaning the IAC tommorow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't even think of that.............my wife's Mach 1 had the same problem right around 30K miles...........they replaced it under warranty.

Does anyone have a "how-to" on where it is, and how to replace it? Is this a DIY type thing? How much is the part, and can I get it at Autozone?

thanks,
Juan

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
should be around 40-70 , and yes they sell it there .

You should get the code read at Autozone before you buy it .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks...................I'm sure my Haynes manual will show me where the IAC is, but to make it quicker, can someone on here post a how-to?

thanks,
jc

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

Its the chrome cylinder looking thing on the intake plenum ringht under the red 4.6 plate .

·
Registered
43 Posts
just a fyi....

for the 96 tbird v8.. there are 2 types of valves....one with the 1/2 inch hose and one with out......my local autozone only had the wrong one.....

ordered it from jason here......great price!

trent

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am having this problem as well (before the car was stolen). I asked them about the idle control valve and the Ford dealer claims that it is fine. They are blaming EGR ports, saying they want $300 bucks to clean them. No gurantee that it will fix the idle problem. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I noticed that someone posted that it often fails (doesn't idle) when it is cold. The problem is mine wont idle when it is hot very well. It tends to run rough until any amount of gas is pressed, and from there it is fine. It is fine in neutral and park.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
juan

call me, or stop by the house.. i live off pleasant hill :) in parkview just before reaves.. so on your way home

i can run the code scan for you to see what the hell and show you where the IAC is (could lend you one temporarily as well :) )

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
juan

call me, or stop by the house.. i live off pleasant hill :) in parkview just before reaves.. so on your way home

i can run the code scan for you to see what the hell and show you where the IAC is (could lend you one temporarily as well :) )
Hey man what's up.........I actually moved from Poinciana (no more living with inlaws!!) We moved into our new house off 417 and Lee Vista, just East of the Airport in late December.

Now that it isn't cold anymore, it's actually idling pretty well; still a little rough, but nothing like when it was in the 30's in the morning going to work. I'll definitely swing by at some point though to take you up on the offer. We'll be in touch.

JC

·
Registered
519 Posts
PFE sensor. Try unplugging the MAF, does it still idle bad under load? probally PFE sensor it's behind the throttle body it has 2 hoses (3/8") on it and one plug. It isn't expensive, not too hard to change. Can somebody tell me what PFE stands for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts