TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, My plug wires are a year old, and have about 10K on them. The plugs themselves are less than 1000 miles old. My injectors are as old as the plug wires, and my tune is just as old. Yes the MAF is clean.

I supercharged my car 3 months ago, and it sat until about 3 weeks ago. It has been running perfect, for 1000 miles. last night I go to check the plugs to see that it is in fact running good. The plugs looked great. I toss them back in and go to bed. I get up today, let the car warm up and hit the road. Misses under a load, drives normal....just not under any medium to heavy accel. I think its the PLUG WIRES. I go home and move them around, put some shielding on some wires in some places. I drive it, and its a tad better. I am sure its the plug wires. So i head to the bankto check my finacial status.

While waiting in line, the car just turns off....like I turned it off with the key, no stumble or any warning signs. I start it back up, it runs fine, for 30 sec then does the same thing again. When I go and start it this time it runs like junk...like its flooding or leaned way out, when I try to give it gas it falls off and picks back up when i let go and then starts stumbling. out the exhaust is lots of black/blue smoke. I shut it off and push it out of line. I wait 5 min, get it and start it up after snooping araound under the hood. STARTS AND RUNS FINE....WTF....I drive home, still misses. I ordered my plug wires....ACCEL...cause I had msd and ford wires. Each of those lasted a year each. I hope the accels last longer.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
138 Posts
While it appears to be electrical in nature, too may things are going on that are different. I think I would suspect the fuel delivery system also. Coud it be that the fuel pump is going bad? Bad load of fuel? Water in the fuel system?

Keep us posted!

Tony:confused:

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
yes do check your coil packs and as aja888 said also check your fuel pump, are you able to start the car right away when it shuts off? Not sure if 4.6 engines have them, do 4.6 have modules for coil pack as the 3.8 SCs and the 5.0s? its black little box usually found on the front bumper on the passenger side by the radiator. if so check that

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as I am sure most of you know....I am pretty darn knowledgeable about these cars.

I should have stated, that the coil packs are a year old, and are the MSD variety. The fuel pump in the car is a 255 lph intank and is 2.5 years oldI tested all the injectors....they all read between 15-15.3 ohms. Fuel pressure is good as wellI am not so worried about the little stalling incident as of right now. I am more interested in getting the miss fixed. I am fairly sure its the wires, but if that doesn't fix it I am going to be a little PO'd at this car. I instal and purchase and treat it with only the best of things.....and it does this. Well this is the first time in 3 years it has ever made me think other than nice things about it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If it was a fuel prob then it would stumble a little and not shut down right away...When you lose fuel pressure there is still a little gas to burn....

or just trade it in and get a 04 T-Bird...Then slap on a supercharger!!!!!! :eek:

then just live out of a cardboard box so you can afford it all...........

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You just described my car, minus the stalling but add a starting problem....LOL.
I know my car is running rediculously rich (4 mpg in traffic with a 1500rpm idle,) but with the short time I was home with it, I haven't had time to diagnose why. My car also sometimes stubles under throttle (I'm hoping a result of the rich condition) and feels like its breaking up sometimes .
I won't be home to play with it until May, so if you figure out what's going on with it, let us know because it might just help me out also.

·
8,239 Posts
CobraRThunder said:
and are the MSD variety.
What plug are you running, a 12c?

You can never rule out the wires, I like the regular motorcraft 8mm wires, and they work fine for my setup. The accel wires leave alot to be desired IMHO.

Same deal with the msd coilpacks. Swap your stock coil packs back on and see if that changes anything.

Finally who tuned the car, and was it on the dyno or through the mail.

JH

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
My saleen ran like that once turned out to be a semi clogged injector.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am getting ready to install my MSD DIS-4 within the next two weeks. If the wires stop this I will be happy for now. But I am still going to get spark blow out above 5K rpms.

My tune is an SCT chip from apten, but its going on the rollers april 3rd to get dyno tuned.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just poking in the dark.
If it sat for that long, how likely is it that there is water in the fuel system?
Do you usually run around with half a tank or do you fill it all up when you get gas?
Water.

Clear EEC memory if you can. Make it reload from EEPROM in case an adaptive element is corrupt.
remove chip, clean all contacts reinstall. I used a soldering iron to tin the fingers on the circuit board, bare copper oxidizes too much.

Are all connections still good? MAF, TPS, IAC??

Leaks, any air leaks in the intake side?

Good luck, those problems are the most annoying.

rm

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had 3 tanks of gass in it since i started driving it again. And it has half a tank in it now. i am thinking I will disconnect the computer as well, like you said. I just hate doing that and waiting for the computer to relearn so the car runs good.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Jack K said:
You just described my car, minus the stalling but add a starting problem....LOL.
I know my car is running rediculously rich (4 mpg in traffic with a 1500rpm idle,) but with the short time I was home with it, I haven't had time to diagnose why. My car also sometimes stubles under throttle (I'm hoping a result of the rich condition) and feels like its breaking up sometimes .
I won't be home to play with it until May, so if you figure out what's going on with it, let us know because it might just help me out also.
Well........that sounds like my car. If you're running that rich-----which I am too, then I would say that's the problem. Best way to fix is get to a Dyno Tune...especially a FORD CHIP dyno tune. Running really rich causes the plugs to foul / misfire. I'm going thru a set of plug about every 4-6 weeks---I can't wait to get the CAT tuned!!!!!!

CHRIS: I have no idea. :2huh:

Goodluck to the both of ya's !!!

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
I'll see you in Illinois if you are tuning out here on the 3rd of April. Good luck with the car until then. I'm anxiously awaiting the worst outcome from my car. I feel your pain about negative thoughts.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
CobraRThunder said:

I supercharged my car 3 months ago, and it sat until about 3 weeks ago. It has been running perfect, for 1000 miles. last night I go to check the plugs to see that it is in fact running good. The plugs looked great. I toss them back in and go to bed. I get up today, let the car warm up and hit the road. Misses under a load, drives normal....just not under any medium to heavy accel. I think its the PLUG WIRES. I go home and move them around, put some shielding on some wires in some places. I drive it, and its a tad better. I am sure its the plug wires. So i head to the bankto check my finacial status.

Any ideas guys?
Just an idea - once I had a perfect running motor and then I changed the tranny fluid. I unknowingly detatched the #8 plug wire just enough that it would fire under light load but not heavy load. I thought it was a tranny problem because of the bucking it would do - also it would blow black smoke and raw gas out.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was having a problem similar to that on mine. I ran the check and got a missfire on one of the banks. I also had the crappy MSD coils. They are both cracked now and I had gone back to the factories with the JBA wires and had not had problems till it locked up. I would go with the plasma booster on the ignition side with the sc set up. Hope this helps..

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts