TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thing may seem stupid or funny, but I cant seem to trip the oil change light on my tbird. Ive done it once since I bought the car and have no idea how I did it. Ive had all my sceduled changes on time, but am pretty sure it just keeps track of time or miles since the last time I pressed the button. Is there a trick?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
the button?

I'm not sure how it works either. There is a sensor in the oilpan on cars with the maintenance monitor. On late 80s crown victorias, the sensor in the pan just let the driver know when the oil level was below where the sensor was mounted. I'm just curious that in the thunderbird it might do some other things as well. One of these days when my friend and I get extremely bored we will get a wiring digram and find out just how in the hell it works :) Anyway sorry bro, if you find out a way to do it let me know!
-Rob

·
Registered
933 Posts
there should be a button, or if it's broken off like on mine - a hole
stick a paper clip in the hole (or hold the button) and turn the key on, it will flash five times and then switch to OK
then you're good

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get weird stuff when I hold it down. It flashes several times then change the display to various combinations of 3-5 of the messages over the entire screen. Its not the original unit. Thye face had broken of the original so I went to a junk yard and picked one up for $35 versus $400 OEM. The new one work just right exept I have trouble changing the oil light dislay from now to ok.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I turned the electronics on but not the engine pressed and held the button and it tripped. Thanks.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
umm am i missing something.....

Ok I have been a thunderbird owner for a long while and have never seen anything about a oil change light. Is it in the 89 thru 93 mn-12's or 96 - 97 mn-12's as I have owned a 88 5.0 bird and currently own a 94 4.6 and have never seen it. What am I missing?? I can be blind from time to time lol.

Later,
jay

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw it in a pic on a 90 bird. Thanks anyway lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One part is a reminder to change your oil. It only keeps track of the last time you pressed the button or the number of miles since you last did so. When you get to 3000 it says change. When at 5000 it says now. The other part actually has a sensor in there respective places with indicates if your oil, radiator, gas or washer fluid is low. Its a nice feature. And I believe only premium birds and cats or only 5.0 from 89 or 91 to 93 had them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have that, and I had the same problem too... well it was just a little annoying having friends come in my car and yelling at me cause I "have to change my oil".

I knew something was up when I left the 10 minute oil change with the "NOW" light flashing at me :bs: lol

That was one of those things I wanted to know but never bothered to ask, so thanks for bringin it up!

Cheers,
Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts