Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Other Custom Parts?

Votes: 5 27.8%
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in the spirit of "getting back into it", I think I want to perhaps take on some metal (steel/aluminum) fabrication of suspension/bracing type stuff for others if there is a need. As tedious as making/customizing longtube 4.6 headers was, I'm quite confident I can tackle suspension/bracing type stuff. Steel and aluminum is expensive, and so is my free time (since I have so little of it :)), but right now I feel as though I have to do something. That being said I'm willing to largely forego the value of my time and work for 'beer money'. So what is in need around here that I could consider? I have welders galore and I can turn/mill small parts on my lathe/mill as well as shape on a press/brake/english wheel (though I'm not that good at it :)). I don't have 3.8/5.0 specific parts to mock-up though, so it would pretty much be stuff either 4.6-based or universal to mn12s.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,141 Posts
A lot of people are always asking about bracing so that's a possibility.

Joe

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
That would be bad ass!!
I may get you to weld my mach 1 intake back together, when I get thru ******* it up. :)
In case you missed it, my dumb ass tried to remove the freeze plugs by filling with water, and letting it freeze.
Needless to say, it resulted in a 'part line' in the plenum, instead. :)
So, I cut it open, and am porting the bottom side too. There's a shitload of flash everywhere."mold lines",I guess is a better word.
I ported my C-heads following the advice I got from Nick, and I didn't hit any water jackets. :)

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
A tubular K would be awesome, but that's asking a lot. True subframe connectors from K to the rear subframe would be the most useful and universal pieces, IMHO.
If you don't have solid metal IRS bushings connecting front frame rails to the rear subframe they wont stiffen the unibody, so they're hardly real.

Way more real life benefits to a tubular K, from weight to access

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Id like braces. Like the K member to frame, and a brace that goes between the strut rods and LCA on the K member. I wanted to make my own but Im putting it off since I have so much else to do on the car.

Im looking forward to testing my solid mounted IRS though. And the rocker bars.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bracing is pointless, Titanium tubular K member and rear subframe please 😁
Edited Original post.. :)

So in the spirit of "getting back into it", I think I want to perhaps take on some metal (steel/aluminum) fabrication of suspension/bracing type stuff for others if there is a need.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Id like braces. Like the K member to frame, and a brace that goes between the strut rods and LCA on the K member. I wanted to make my own but Im putting it off since I have so much else to do on the car.
I should still have the ones I bought from JL, I never got around to installing them. Perhaps I could make replicas.

Between the strut rods on the K and LCA mounting points? Can't say I recall seeing any of those. Did anyone ever make any?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I should still have the ones I bought from JL, I never got around to installing them. Perhaps I could make replicas.

Between the strut rods on the K and LCA mounting points? Can't say I recall seeing any of those. Did anyone ever make any?
I dont think so. But think about it, the K member is stamped steel and those are two lower suspension mounting points that receive a lot of stress.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
You'd be willing to pay for a 4130 chromoly K member? Somehow I doubt that, lol.
Depends on how much beer you consume I guess :ROFLMAO:

I dont think so. But think about it, the K member is stamped steel and those are two lower suspension mounting points that receive a lot of stress.
They do. What problem however is that stress causing that bracing them together will alleviate though? At some point you're just overengineering what was adequately engineered to begin with

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hardly any, but the "beer money" was in reference to my labor costs, not the final cost of parts. I'm not paying for your materials. 4130 is expensive. Factoring shipping costs from suppliers-to-me, 4130 ends up being ~$25/ft for round tubing. I hope this whole time I've been away you've been feeding the piggy bank. :) Unless you want mild steel Sch40 pipe. I can get that cheap locally. :geek:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

They do. What problem however is that stress causing that bracing them together will alleviate though? At some point you're just overengineering what was adequately engineered to begin with
Whatever problem that makes people think they need solid strut rod/control arm bushings. Which theres a lot of.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts