TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only done a "partial" drain of the trans fluid, never a torque converter drain.

Will the trans accept a full fluid fill after a torque converter drain, or will the engine need to be started (at some point) to get fluid pumping into the torque converter?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The engine needs to run to refill the TC. If you drained the TC and the pan then just fill it with a few quarts and fire it up, run it through the gears (it likely won't engage right away), then shut off and add a bit more and repeat the start up/gear selection trick until you get full engagement and then make sure it's fully hot and top it off at the correct level on the stick. It's been a while since I did this on my 'bird but IIRC it will take around 12-14 quarts to fill it completely back up.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There is a procedure, you'll have to search here for it. Basically you add about 6 quarts, start the engine, go through all gear positions holding your foot on the brake, add 2 more quarts, repeat, when you get to 10 quarts, only add 1/4 quart at a time, etc. Search around you'll find the specifics (it's in the factory service manual).

Whatever you do, don't add the full amount of what you think drained out. And yes the engine needs to be running, but you also need to cycle through all the gears also.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much, gents!!

I'll try to find the procedure in my Ford manual... and, when I do this, I'll put the rear of the car on jack-stands, so there's no chance of driving off the front ramps when going through the gears.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
When I did the refill, I had the car on 4 jack stands. Much easier to check the proper fluid level that way, car is more level.

As an alternative, you could use your park brake also and chock the tires if you wanted to leave the car on the ground. It's not a huge deal because you're not revving the engine, you're just holding your foot on the brake and giving the fluid time to circulate in each gear position.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I heard (though this may not apply to ford engines and trannys) that if you drain the torque converter during a trans swap/rebuild/etc. it is a good idea to fill the torque converter prior to installing it back into the vehicle, HOWEVER, most people advise against it because it gets messy when mating the TC to the trans.

I only mention this in the hope that if it is true, you don't miss this step. If it is false, then I hope I can get some clarification before I swap the Trans in my Trailblazer as it needs to be done soon.

If anyone can confirm or refute this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yes, always fill the TC before install. I have never heard anyone advise against it.

Obviously, you can't fill it past the half way point when you stand it on it's side or fluid will come out, so add slowly and keep checking.

Al

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was a Hummer on monster garage where they didn't pre-fill the torque converter, and it grenaded before they got a chance to drive the vehicle.

When I swapped torque converters in my car, I didn't prefill.

I suppose you could add just a bit of fluid into the torque converter. Any little bit, doesn't have to be a full quart or anything like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts