TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some motorcraft plugs for my car. My old neighbor said he would do the plugs so I could do the oil change and clean my K&N. Well to make a long story short. My car ran like butt. So I pulled all the plugs. They where gapped anywhere from .033 to .069 none of the plugs where even remotely the same. Hence the miss under a load condition. Ain't that a pain in the butt! Or at least I think that was the problem. It runs like a bat out of hell!

He was a ricer driver. Eric

·
8,239 Posts
I hope your neighbor used a dab of anti seize on the plug threads, and he used a torque wrench to install the plugs.

JH

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
It's reasons like that that I do not let other people turn wrenches on my car. Glad you found the problem though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope your neighbor used a dab of anti seize on the plug threads, and he used a torque wrench to install the plugs.
What do you torque the plugs to? I have never done any of the stuff mentioned in the aboue statement. Crap!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
spark plug torque is 10-15 ft-lbs.

did mine last weekend with new wires, gap at .060

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Anti-sieze is important just to make it easier to remove the plugs later. Also, the steel of the plugs can damage the soft aluminum of the heads if you have to forcibly remove them, so it's best to use anti-sieze to prevent the two from becoming fused. I guess you know that it's good to use some dielectric grease on the plug where it goes into the boot.

It's too bad your neighbor is gap-illiterate. At least he tried to help - that was nice of him. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
fuh, I got new wires before I did my plugs yesterday, and never put grease on em. Thank god for lifetime warranty, i had to putter down to Napa on 5 cylinders because I ruined one of them. Also, the back of the plug packs said just 1/16th of a turn after finger tight, so that's all I did. Whoever designed the 3.8L engine made Cylinder 3's plug a *****.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You don't have to torque spark plugs down exactly, just make sure they're in good enough. If I had to fit a torque wrench in behind my headers, forget it. I use an open-ended wrench for most of em.

·
Registered
287 Posts
91HellCat said:
It's reasons like that that I do not let other people turn wrenches on my car. Glad you found the problem though.
never ever never....:uppoint:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
zero89lx said:
You don't have to torque spark plugs down exactly, just make sure they're in good enough. If I had to fit a torque wrench in behind my headers, forget it. I use an open-ended wrench for most of em.
That is horrible advice and could end up costing someone a lot of money.

Use a torque wrench. It is VERY easy to over-tighten or under-tighten the plugs in these aluminum heads. Wrong torque specs can cause plugs to blow out of the heads or threads to come out when the plugs are removed. If that happens, the heads need to be removed for the problem to be fixed.

2 extra minutes of your time tightening them to the proper specs is well worth the hours of time and money you could be saving.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
funderbird said:
What do you torque the plugs to?
On a 4.6 it's 80-106 Inch lbs which converts to about 6-8 ft lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts