TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so heres my prob: when i lay into it(usually from a stop), my car will get to aboutr 3500 rpm and then start to stutter. almost like it has a rev limiter. plugs, wires, and fuel filter are new. what do u think this could be. it really jerks the car pretty bad when it does this sometimes.

thanx devan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i said i just changed them not long ago.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Its entirly possible to get a bad set of wires, its happend to a bunch of us. Although, what does your boost gauge do when you feel it "stutter"? If it pegs out, it's probably a restriction in your exhaust from something comming loose. Had that one hapen also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the boost guage stays normal. theres nothing clogging the exhaust cause its all fairly new.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would change out the plug wires again, then if that doesn't fix the problem. Then I would start looking at the DIS module. You could find a KNOWN working DIS, swap it out, and see if that works. Those would be the first two things I would start troubleshooting. Let us know what you find.

Any recent engine work, besides routine maintenance?

Calvin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have had a few minor things doen to the enginem, but this prob. was there before i had the work doen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you mean it sounds like detonation? If so, look for intake or PCV air leaks.
Do you have EGR? If so, check to see if the hose to the transducer is off or cracked.
Could your air bypass be sticking? Try spraying the butterfly area with WD40.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A crank sensor that is going bad or contaminated with coolant residue will cause this also.

Vernon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just replaced the crank sensor so it shouldnt be that, and it was there before we replaced it. its definately not detonation, caus ethe car actually bucks under harder acceleration. where would i locate the egr and the air bypass? one thing i do know, the tube that i assume connects to the exhaust manifold, it has the flex tube mesh around it. its under the intake tubes at the back of the motor. it has a leak and u can hear it ticking somewhat.

thanx for any help guys
devan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found an easy way to check and see if it's the wires. This rewuires a car garage, as total darkness is almost necessary:

Run the car in your garage (notice, I didn't say "Run your car INTO your garage), pop the hood, and turn all the lights off. Garage, car, etc.

In that complete darkness, give your eyes a couple of minutes to adjust, then have a helper step bring up the RPMs. If you don't have a helper, then just rev the motor from the Throttle body. Either way, if you have bad wires, you will see a cool light show, and you will know which wire(s) is/are bad.

Then, contact Victor Malvar at [email protected] for a new pair of Magnecor wires. Shameless plug for Victor only because he's the best SC parts guy I've ever dealt with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts