TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at pictures of the subs and stuff people have in their cars..most of them seem to be really nice, but i'm just curious...why does almost everyone seem to have their subs facing toward the back of the car? I have mine facing toward the front and I can tell a big difference inside the car.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I have mine facing towards the back, and I think it seems to be a little louder, and a little deeper bass wise.. Maybe because it echo's in the trunk, then comes towards the front of the car.. some audio wizard will post here soon.. =)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have mine facing down, and I get plenty of bass. Course I have 140 watt amp bridged to mono with 2 10's.

Mike Donley

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine are facing back...

...and I now have my rear seat back out. I am trying to figure out how to make this look a little more asthetically pleasing, or how to mount the subs where the rear seat back used to be, and the amps where the seat bottom was. Has anyone done this, or does anyone know how to accomplish this?

·
Registered
735 Posts
It doesnt matter

Doesnt matter which way cause its omni directional. not to mention a vehicle application is different then a room's accoustics. Ask this question on carsound.com and you'll get a much detailed answer.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
i have had them both directions. backward, i had lots of rattles and a no drop in the SPL number. BUT audibly sometimes they sound deeper and it can mask the distortion making them"sound better". I ended up doing a bandpass with the ports through the rear deck and sealed the cabin off from the trunk. I lost 1db in going from my forward facing ported box(sealed trunk from cabin also) to the bandpass i currently have and the bandpass is tighter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My little Set up

This is still a work in progress, as I have not got it all hooked up yet and I think I am gonna get 2 new MTX 8000's and a new MTX amp for the Sub's.

I talked to a Pro Audio shop and they said to face them towards the rear of the car. Something about the Thunderbird Trunk.

I just installed 4 new Infinity's 5x7's and will get to see what this sounds like tomorrow. Getting in and out of that trunk is not easy on my 6'3" 250 pound frame
:) .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well...i played around with them today...and it seems to me as though if they are facing toward the front, then the bass is more 'crisp' if you know what i mean...toward the back, the bass seems to be a little deeper, but it's harder to tell when one 'hit' stops and the next starts...as if the bass tends to 'linger'. I guess that's because it has to bounce around more before it reaches the front where as when they are facing toward the front, it's a direct path...i'm debating which way i like better. Nice setup though guys...they look nice. I will have some pics of my setup tomorrow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like them facing back, it sounds better to me. Nice setups everyone, hopefully I'll have one to post here soon enough. I had to find another sub that will handle some juice:D

Bagged89 - Very nice trunk work. Post some more pics if possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
the trunk? i don't really know, the panels have been built and rebuilt so many time, they were vinyl, velour, then paint. they realy arne't that perfect, they will be repainted when i get the car repainted by a real painter with good paint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finished

Here is what I have done so far. Got new Subs. Looks like I need to Get a bigger amp. But my Sony's will have to do for now. Sounds pretty Tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts