TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I wanna start modding my 'Bird a bit, and the first thing on the list is chassis stiffening. I really don't know how stiff our cars are, although I'm pretty sure they're not as bad as a Fox-chassis car.

I've seen some pics of JL's bracing, and man that's alot of material. I'm gonna be using the car for touge and maybe an open track event or 2. The biggest amount of power I ever figure putting into the car would be around 250-260 fwhp, and that's if I do the Explorer swap. My budget for the bracing is around 150 bucks. So do I need all that bracing, or would some subframe connectors and strut-tower braces work? Also, which would improve the car's handling the most, subframe connectors or the strut tower braces?

JL check your PM's.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you're going to do the suspension, I'd go with springs and shocks first. But I'd imagine that the subframe connectors would stiffen up the car more than the shock tower braces, for what it's worth. BTW, our cars have shocks, not struts. It's a common mistake, so don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
And you won't get subframe connectors for $150. You can get the front STB for that, maybe, and definately get the rear for that and have some left over. I would start with the front or rear first, or save some more money for the subframe connectors.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Rich is right....
Start with the STB's first if you've only got $150 to use right now,and then to finish it off,a set of subs will do the job.
JL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good. I don't know much about which parts of our cars flex the worst, so I didn't want to brace one part of the car when another area needed it the worst.

So JL, how much would it be for 1 set of front and rear stb's, including shipping? I live in southern Illinois.

·
3,232 Posts
V8Tsunami said:
That sounds good. I don't know much about which parts of our cars flex the worst, so I didn't want to brace one part of the car when another area needed it the worst.

So JL, how much would it be for 1 set of front and rear stb's, including shipping? I live in southern Illinois.
I'm not making any fronts right now,and dunno when I'll be making any soon.
The rear will be $80 shipped.
JL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well let me know if you start making any. I'd really like to have one of those. But I know people have more important things to do in life than make car parts for complete strangers so I'll wait for a while till you can get around to making them again.

Just don't stop making them before I get one though :)

·
3,232 Posts
I'm actually making them now-My friend that helps with the STB's is back from his job out of state,and he's ready to make a run of front STB's
JL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. How much for a set of front & rears shipped? Could you type some simple instructions so I know exactly how to do it? I know this is a pretty simple project but I still want to take my time to get it right.

I assume the car needs to be level on jackstands to do this, and what point of the car would I use to determine if it's level or not, both front to rear and side-to-side?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I too would like to know how much a set shipped would cost. My '97 has the 3.8, so I don't know if that makes a difference as to whether the front brace will fit or not. Thanks.

·
3,232 Posts
The STB install is pretty much idiot proof.
The front uses a couple of existing holes,and you also need to drill a few.It doesn't matter if the car is level or not-I'd just suggest it have all four wheels on the ground loaded.
The rear is a bit more flexible-you can place it on the rear shock towers where it fits your car best(and where it may clear your stereo,etc),drill 2 holes,and bolt it in.
That simple.
The front is only guaranteed to fit a 4.6L car-sorry,no 3.8L bars.
The rear fits any MN12.
Front STB=$150
Rear STB-$75
Shipping varies dependant on your address,and how many pieces you need at one time(I package parts in the same box for savings on shipping when possible).
JL

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
JL,

I know you don't guarantee fit for anything but a 4.6L on the front STB, but is it possible average joe could modify your STB to fit around a 3.8/4.2L motor? I got a brother that is a millwright.

·
3,232 Posts
PCD said:
JL,

I know you don't guarantee fit for anything but a 4.6L on the front STB, but is it possible average joe could modify your STB to fit around a 3.8/4.2L motor? I got a brother that is a millwright.
Anything is possible,and it's possible that it'll fit without any mods.I don't have any 3.8L cars around to test fit on,and have no desire to go find one or make arrangements to test fit one..
JL

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I could make one for a V6, if someone can bring their car up here. I'm working on one for a SC right now. I'm not too interested in mass producing 4.6 ones if Johnny is making them again.

·
3,232 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
JL...Are you still making the subframe connectors? Will these help out at the track much, or mainly for street driving?

Thanks

Dave
Yep-we're making everything again.
They help everywhere.Solid track launch,and less flex for street driving as well.
JL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rich95XR7,

Would a brace for a 3.8 SC be able to fit over a 3.8 NA? I'm not expecting a definite answer, just looking for a guess as to what might fit because I live in Indiana, so I can't really bring my car down for a custom brace for a 3.8 NA. I'm not even talking an exact fit, just something that would clear everything and still let me close the hood. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't think that it will fit, but I'm not sure. There are a couple OK TCCoA members that have 3.8's, and if there's enough interest in them, and I can get 10 orders prepayed, with the first of them being from Oklahoma or Texas, I will do them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts