TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Congrats on finding the problem! I agree on checking the intake manifold gaskets, I had to change them on my 95. It is a good time to also clean the EGR valve/pipe.

Al

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The headgasket won’t fill a spark plug hole with coolant, it’s likely the intake gasket or possibly even a cracked manifold heater outlet
Yes, you're right... I meant a gasket "somewhere" in that area :grin2:

My manifold is aluminium so it's probably just the gasket.

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What's the size and thread pitch of those bolts?
I have no idea, sorry, but you can take one off, the subframe is held in place by 8 of them, so nothing will fall off if you only take one of them, use it as a sample in the hardware store :grin2: I'd suggest 8' long ones... mine were about 5' or 4.5'

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You mean 8" don't you? An 8 foot bolt is pretty long! :rofl: Sorry, I had to do it!

Nice job!

Joe
Yes!... That's what I meant... I go by cms in Mexico, not inches... :grin2: I've always had a hard time remembering whether it's a single or a double "quote" (or whataver that mark is called) :grin2:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Yes!... That's what I meant... I go by cms in Mexico, not inches... :grin2: I've always had a hard time remembering whether it's a single or a double "quote" (or whataver that mark is called) :grin2:
We don't use the metric system here, don't change things because they are easier to understand. Even if the bolts are metric.

Its called the Prime symbol for Feet ' .. or double prime " for Inches, but yeah .. quotation marks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
¡Nosotros en EE.UU. somos los unicos que no usan la sistema metrica, y es una cosa fregada!

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Removing the sub frame in this way, does ot affect the alignment?
Yes, it does; but if you put it back EXACTLY like it came out, it won't.

I'd still get the car 4-wheel aligned after I put it all back, though.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
There are alignment holes between the front pair of bolts on each side, place 3/4" tubes in the holes before you torque them down and you're set. Alignment will be fine unless the K member wasn't centered before.
Remember the year (2017 IIRC) that it seems like EVERYBODY was retorquing the front subframe bolts?

Yah, I had to get mine realigned after that, because it wasn't quite 100% square.

So I'd bet that the subframe is currently not quite 100% square also in the OP's car.

So ... yah, I'd schedule an alignment, even with the dowels. Can't hurt it any.

RwP

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Removing the sub frame in this way, does ot affect the alignment?
Doing it the way I mentioned with the longer bolts will not prevent alignment from being disturbed somehow, I did it this way mainly to make it easier on myself as I was working alone.

Not fighting the whole super-heavy behemoth while you lower it and while you try to keep it from sloping sideways and possibly hitting the floor or bending something is such a relief, same goes for putting it back on. I simply cannot think of a safer way to manage the whole task if you dont have a helping hand just as I didn't at the time.

I didn't have to realign the suspension as I was extra cautious to make marks on key parts to prevent them from moving around. Still, an alignement job is something I'd consider if my tires were new/expensive, mine are cheap and almost shot... and the car now behaves as it did and as it should (straight, no weird pulling sideways or crooked looking tires)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts