TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been temping here in Ventura county and I need to find a real job. I have some doors open for me at Amgen (my supervisors liked me), but I really don't want to commit myself to the biotech/pharmaceutical industry-- I know nothing about it. My real desires are to be involved in the automotive industry. Preferably anything involving the business end of things... Marketing, distribution, manufacturing, whatever. I would be willing to take a pay cut but I don't want to be a gopher.

How many of you are actually employed in the automotive industry? How did you get your foot in the door? I don't have an engineering major. I have a BS in Business Admin, which I now realize is pretty much the most ambiguous business major you can get-- not to mention, useless...

I want to start my own business if I can't get anywhere. I have a few ideas but funding becomes an issue.

Times are frustrating for guys like me.

PJ

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Times are frustrating for everyone. I know guys with engineering degrees that graduate and have trouble finding jobs. I know other guys that graduated, couldn't get jobs in the auto industry so they went to grad school hoping things would turn around by the time they were done with that. No degree is guaranteeing you a good job right now, IMO, take the best thing looking at you right now and keeping looking for a job you really want, eventually you may find it, or, maybe go back to school and make yourself more marketable.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
My advise...get a job at Amgen. My aunt has worked there for ~10 years, and she has done VERY well for herself.

I hear ya...I found out that my state funding got canceled, and now I can't afford to goto college. It's the republican's fault :mad: . At least it gives me an excuse to move out of state, I'm split between Houston (UH) and Granada Hills (UCLA)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've considered going back to school... I want some real experience first... Get my bearings, you know? Greenbird, UCLA, dude! All the way! Then there'd be someone relatively close who shares a passion for MN12s...

I'm gonna see what Amgen has to offer. I've looked into their masters degree program-- they want final year students. It seems interesting but it requires travel flexibility. I don't really want to travel for my job-- unless it takes me to Japan, or somewhere cool, or tropical.

PJ

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Well for UCLA you have to apply 10 months in advance, and I can only start in Fall, so it wouldn't be until fall 2004 :rolleyes: . On the other hand, UH will accept applications till april for fall 2003.

I'll probably be out that way anyway. I've got family in Thousand Oaks, Granada Hills, and Canoga Park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts