TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I plan to get a job or 2 and work my butt off. I have come to decide about a few performance/exterior mods I would want to do. Which one should I be saving up for over this coming summer?

--- True Dual Exhaust? (I'll put about 5 to 6 hundred forward for it, whatever it takes for maximum sound and performance)

--- Chrome Rims? (Probably Cobra rims)

--- EEC Performance Chip? (I'll put about $550 to $650 max into this lil part)
--- Lightning 80mm MAF or 2002 Mustang GT MAF and Air Intake
--- Performance Spark plugs/wires
--- (Maybe you can insert something here?)

--- Another idea?

the 3 things under the EEC chip was also included in the bundle...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Personally I'd put the rims last on the list...but that's just me. Of the exhaust and computer stuff, that's really up to you. If you plan on any other mods [that require reburning] in the relatively near future I'd hold off on the chip to save youself $50 on a reburn. Also if your wires are still good don't waste the money on them IMO. For the intake the MAF and Mustang airbox are all I would get, unless you are going for the wood factor. ;)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Palmguy said:
Personally I'd put the rims last on the list...but that's just me. Of the exhaust and computer stuff, that's really up to you. If you plan on any other mods [that require reburning] in the relatively near future I'd hold off on the chip to save youself $50 on a reburn. Also if your wires are still good don't waste the money on them IMO. For the intake the MAF and Mustang airbox are all I would get, unless you are going for the wood factor. ;)
Yeah, good call about the rims.. I guess that sounds like the best idea.

Could you explain to me what exactly is a chip reburn? And why does it cost $50 dollars? Does the dealership do it? Why do we have to do this "reburn" ? To tell the computer it's okay for these new settings?

I have pretty new (less than a year old) spark plug wires, they are Motorcraft wires, and I spent 80 dollars on them.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
When you buy a chip, it is "burned" with a certain set of parameters to work with your setup. Say you get a chip, install it, and then pick up one of Justin's FRPP 3.73 rear ends. To get that working right you would need to pull the chip out and send it in to be reprogrammed by the chip maker.

http://www.apten-us.com/chips/faq.asp

I'd also do the J-Mod and trans. cooler, you'll be very glad you did. In fact that's what I'd put at the top of the list!

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
planning to finally finish my 5-speed swap this summer and put my current tranny on my LS cause the tranny from the LS gave out on me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Palmguy said:
When you buy a chip, it is "burned" with a certain set of parameters to work with your setup. Say you get a chip, install it, and then pick up one of Justin's FRPP 3.73 rear ends. To get that working right you would need to pull the chip out and send it in to be reprogrammed by the chip maker.

http://www.apten-us.com/chips/faq.asp

I'd also do the J-Mod and trans. cooler, you'll be very glad you did. In fact that's what I'd put at the top of the list!
And you got to do this after EVERY modification????

Or does this guarentee maximum output of the car.

I totally forgot J - Mod and Tranmission cooler.. I was going to buy a transmission cooler right after I get about 80 bucks... It was 3rd in my mod list, and I can go ahead and remove the air intake silencer while I am at it! :D :D

EDIT: What I am saying in short is, it won't hurt to do 2 or 3 modifications before I mail that chip back right?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
From the link to Apten I posted:

If I buy a chip now, and continue to modify my car, will I need to sent it back to be re-burned?
In general, here is a short list of things you can modify without needing a chip re-burn:

Performance air filter
Exhaust
Headers
Pulleys
Higher flow radiator
Spark plugs
Performance plug wires
Electric fan conversion
Intake kit (provided there are no steep bends before the MAF)
Light intake and head porting
PI head and cam upgrades on the 4.6L engines
Mild camshaft upgrades
Different throttle bodies
Propane injection (nozzles in front of ATC sensor)
Transmission shift kits

Here is a list of things that could warrant recalibration:

Injector upgrades
Different MAF
supercharger
Nitrous
delete EGR
High lift cams
Heavy head porting
Custom intake manifolds
Gears (on 96+ automatics only, so we can readjust shift points)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nonono I read the link, I just missed the thing about the MAF. I also took the time to browse the site, read the entire FAQ, and it seems it isn't too hard to do this job.

I wanted to ask about this response on the FAQ:

<b><i>What are the advantages of installing an Apten Performance Chip?
Here are some common advantages of installing our chip: </b></i>

<b>More power
Better fuel economy
Better part-throttle response </b>
Cooler running engine (on cars with electric fans)
Adjusted rev limiter
Adjusted speed limiter
Firmed-up shift points (on electronic automatic transmissions)
Adjusted shift points (on electronic automatic transmissions)
Several other changes made to your computer's programming
Not the same "off the shelf" calibrations that many Diablo and Superchip resellers use
Customized for your particular needs

The ones in bold are what I am asking about, because I read on a previous thread, and on MN12 performance mainly about a chip doing nothing but really modifying the spark.

<<<< Is the Fuel / Power increase noticable or is it like .5%??? >>>>

So now we've establish a chip is a good idea. I wanted to ask about the chips Apten offers:

http://www.apten-us.com/chips/

There are a few kinds on there.. As of right now, I would like to stay with the N/A (naturally aspirated) chips. If I can fork 4 grand for a S' Charger, I can fork another 350 for a chip.

My car is mainly a daily driver with the occasional trip down to the track.. I'm only going after I do a number of mods.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

<<<< Is the Fuel / Power increase noticable or is it like .5%??? >>>>

from my SCT dyno tune

previous best on road trips was 340 mi/16 gal.....new best was 435mi/16.5 gal........26.4 mpg >> 21.25 mpg........in the city, i don't know how much it has saved me since the pedal is floored more often since it it much more fun to drive :)

a chip will get you very close to that

8% increase in HP, 2.4% increase in torque, bone stock

24% increase in highway economy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well geez the 8% HP increase sold me, but good lord a near 100 mile increase in highway travel???? That's perfect for me, since I'm constantly driving 100 miles + back to home no the weekends and 100 + miles back on Sunday.

I've definitely decided that I'll get that bad boy for sure. Thanks for your help, even though I didn't understand the bottom of the dyno test for the life of me.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Rebuild the 351 in my aunt's Bronco (just as soon as she gets it up here) then get my F-350 back. ::pulls down ninja mask:: :cool2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts