TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sunroof cover was knocked out of its track. i pull on it so hard, but i cant get it back in its track. and i cant get at it from above because of the sunroof. can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here is a quick copy and paste from the Ford CD. Sorry, don't know how to get the pictures to copy with the text.

Hope this helps.......................

Headlining, Sliding Roof

Removal

1. Open roof sliding outer glass panel (502A82) approximately half-way.

2. Grasp and pull down one of the outside corners of the roof sliding panel opening shield (50988). Working toward the opposite side, remove roof sliding panel opening shield from roof sliding outer glass panel. Then close roof sliding outer glass panel.

3. Raise roof sliding outer glass panel to the full VENT position.

4. Slide roof sliding panel opening shield rearward up and over the "hat section" of roof sliding panel headlining (519A02).

5. Slide roof sliding panel headlining full forward.

6. Disengage rear of roof sliding panel headlining by gently pushing up on the middle area to disengage rear guide feet from roof sliding panel headlining tracks.

7. Turn roof sliding panel headlining 90 degrees and remove through roof opening.

Installation

1. Slide roof sliding panel headlining through roof opening and position it to a 90 degree angle under the roof sliding panel opening shield. Insert roof sliding panel headlining about halfway and turn it to the proper position, allowing it to lie on tracks.

2. Carefully bow center of roof sliding panel headlining slightly to engage rear guide feet under the proper tracks and slide roof sliding panel headlining rearward until it contacts the roof sliding panel opening shield.

3. Lift roof sliding panel opening shield up and over the "hat section" of roof sliding panel headlining, making sure roof sliding panel opening shield sides are outboard of the front clips of the roof sliding panel headlining.

4. Slide roof sliding panel opening shield full forward.

5. Lower roof sliding outer glass panel from vented position and open the roof sliding outer glass panel approximately one-quarter of the way.

6. Install roof sliding panel opening shield onto roof sliding outer glass panel.

7. Check operation of roof sliding panel headlining.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This thread is old now, but I am currently working on this issue and need further clarification for the instructions.

First, can anyone further describe the roof sliding panel opening shield? I assume the roof sliding panel headlining is the plastic visor which slides out to cover the sunroof from the inside, and this is the part I need to reinstall.

I replaced my sunroof glass and when I went to reinstall, I could not fit the visor under the metal tracks or on top of them. Underneath, it got stuck and would not move. On top, it didnt seem to fit under the sunroof.

Thanks for your help!

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
You're quite welcome.

I'm not versed at all on the 1993 sunroof stuff - I just have a copy of the service manual. I'd suspect there's something amiss with the tracking itself, or that a guide pin may be broken. Check the track and see if there's any obstructions in it.

From the 1993 Service manual:

o Moon Roof Does Not Function and/or Perform Properly

Possible Source(s):
§ Glass panel not properly aligned or fitted to roof.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Align to specifications.

Possible Source(s):
§ Glass assembly seal not properly in place and/or not attached securely.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Install seal properly and/or attach correctly.

Possible Source(s):
§ Obstructions or foreign objects in tracks or troughs.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Remove obstructions or foreign objects as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Rear guide pin not properly engaged in cam slot of lifter assembly.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Engage rear guide pin properly.

Possible Source(s):
§ Rear lifter assemblies not properly connected to glass module.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Properly connect lifter assemblies to glass module.

Possible Source(s):
§ Front guides not properly installed and/or secured.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Install and.or secure front guides as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Adequate voltage not being supplied to the motor (12.6 V).

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check voltage and correct if voltage not adequate.

Possible Source(s):
§ Tracks not securely attached to housing.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Attach track securely to housing.

Possible Source(s):
§ Rear guide cables not properly synchronized.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Synchronize cables and motor.

Possible Source(s):
§ Rear drive cable or guide broken.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Replace or service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Sunshade not properly installed.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check and install sunshade properly as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Amperage range for glass running not adequate (3.5A)

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check for proper amperage and correct if required

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I just did mine. To really get at it you need to take off the glass. There are 6 screws holding it in to the side supports. When it is removed, you can really get to the shield. I'm just curious if it goes into the black rails or lays on top of them. Make sure to mark where the glass sits. Mark the screws as to there location before taking them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 questions..did shade go inside rail or on top? And you suggest to mark screws before taking em out to know exactly where they go? Im only asking because are there multiple screw holes?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,350 Posts
On top. Properly installed the black metal rails are visible with it closed, seems wrong but that’s how it’s supposed to be. The sunshade rests on top of them and is guided by the plastic “halo” that travels with the glass, and the little L shaped felt pads are critical to the operation and retention of the sunshade.

The glass needs to be removed to R&R the sunshade from the halo,but to be clear the screws you remove are the screws that hold the glass only, not the ones that bolt the tracks to the inner roof structure. Yes they are alignment bolts as well, yes it should help to mark them, but IME the clearance is so tight it’s very difficult to get a definitive mark on them. When I did mine I just had to trial and error it, as it didn’t close the same even with the markings I made.

This applies to 89-96 factory moonroofs anyway, 97s and aftermarket ones are different

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your response answered my questions. I have a better understanding how it operates now. Glad u informed me they are for alignment as well. Our 95 TBird LX will easily do 100mph. Still all original. Fun to drive it. Fix it as needed. Next thing is if I sit in drivers seat and look up I can see sunlight between the rubber molding surrounding the sunroof glass and the roof surrounding glass on one side. I'm assuming due to cars age the molding has shrunk. Hoping a sunroof shop can still replace the rubber around glass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts