TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunroof vs. non sunroof

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  theterminator93 
#1 ·
from what i notice after peeping through the cover of mine sunroof's car, i notice there are none of the 3 "crossbone" underneath the skin of the roof as compare to those non-sunroof car.
all it has is the tray that let the glass sits and slide.

is it safe to say that sunroof version chasis is little bit less rigid than non sunroof version?

#2 ·
i would say no, its just as stiff, the sunroof cars have a whole lower tray that is a integral part of the roof. that is makes up for not using those few little cross braces.

#3 ·
Unless you have an aftermarket sunroof, without any braces added in (like my Splitport 94 LX). In that case, the chassis is certainly less rigid than a non-sunroof or factory sunroof car.

-Rod

#5 ·
Lithsanatrex said:
cant you add braces around the sunroof (aftermarket) to stiffen it up a bit?
Of course you can.

In my DOHC 90 XR7 (a non-sunroof car), I added an extra brace in the roof of the car both to mount the overhead console and to add a little rigidity to the chassis. Between that and a few other braces, that chassis is very rigid.

-Rod

#7 ·
Nope, I lost those pictures, along with a ton of other stuff, when my hard drive crashed a couple years ago.

-Rod

#8 ·
thanks for all the replies and ideas.

i was tinkering with the sunrrof motor yesterday(mine when bad) and pull out the top side panel and also peeping through the hole of the sunroof motor housing there(headliner) and was surprise what i have saw. been to a yard last week and was looking at non sunroof bird without the headliners and study those brace. 3 is what being the crossbrace that are in the car. then when i saw mine then i say this is not good. that sunroof tray is glued on and no spot welded. and without much force from my finger i can flexed that tray easily. then when i'm taking a smoking break in between then i figured out something that may me feasible for me to do.

so what i need now is help from you guys if you can. i need a picture of the front seatbelt mounting point at the B-pillar without the trim piece on there. if any one have any can you please post some? i appreciate it.

thanks.

#9 ·
ok, little bit of correction here. the one with 3 crossbrace is from mark8. just look at my ford factory manual and in bird there are only 2.

#10 ·
The sunroof cars definitely are less rigid in the rear roof area. I have a matching dimple in each side of my roof which I can only attribute to this. 60/40 split rear seats make this problem even worse. I bought one of racecougar's rear shock tower braces and have been contemplating an interior brace for the roof that spans from one side of the car to the other.
I hope that these two things solve the problem.

#12 ·
Dude - lay off with this obsessive bracing behavior. The MN12 unibody is what it is, and it's what makes the MN12 an MN12. If you want to drive a rock, you've got the wrong chassis.

If you want to reach out to Rod regarding this, that's fine - but I don't want you bumping a 16 year old thread to do it!!

Send him a PM and let sleeping dogs lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.