Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sunroof repair help

My factory sunroof has started to
open on its own. By this I mean, I will close
it and it sits in the closed position perfectly
until I start driving. Then, the pressure of
the wind will force the rear part of the glass
down slightly (almost like its going to retract into
the open position). The wind noise is horrible.
I called Ford and they said they don't make repair
kits anymore because the car is 11 years old. I would
have to buy a new assembly at $800. Does anyone
know where I can purchase a repair kit? It would be
a simple kit with new bushings and O rings. I know this
because my old Maxima had the same issue and I bought
the kit from the dealer.

Thanks.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you might try ebay for the kit. or maybe there might be a kit by an aftermarket company on ebay. i would start there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunroof sag repair

J.Miller if this works I will send you $50. I have been looking
every where for a fix or repair kit and have not had any
luck. This should be made a sticky since there appears to
be no repair kits and this may be the fix to most.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
um out of curiosity does he(fastfreddie) think the cougar is a gm car?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If that fix doesn't work, let me know. I still have all the sunroof parts I salvaged from my low mileage 97 LE. (and if you look for salvage parts remember, the 97 had a totally different Moonroof than the other years)

·
Banned
198 Posts
I Might As Well Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

um out of curiosity does he(fastfreddie) think the cougar is a gm car?
NO LONGER MADE:eek: ...NEVER HAD THE INTREST LIKE THE BIRDS:confused: JUST ANOTHER PIECE OF " TIN ":D

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
If your sunroof is sagging here is some info.

:confused:
Hey J,
Did you fix both of those sagging roofs? Like it says in that thread one is OEM one is Ford. I have a sagging roof too, and my unit is the ASC one like in the first picture. I'm curious if the procedure is the same for both cause the two sunroof assemblies are definitely different from each other.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Yes the fix (re-timing the roof) does work on the factory ford roof.

In regards to post #2 I also wrote essentially the same thing back in october of 07, its not a step by step but it informs people of how to re-time the factory ford moonroof. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105972&highlight=re+timing+roof

Proceedure for the Ford Roof.
Basically unbolt the motor from its frame via the access panel with the key in the on position.
Push the moon roof button to vent, so that the motor spins to the vent position while not attached to it's cable/tracks.
Next push the glass as far upward as it will go for full vent.
Re-attach the motor
Ensure that it goes to full closed, full vent, full open (or as far as they ever have opened), and make sure it fully seals in the closed position (which it should now do)
The bolts shake loose over the years causing the motor to jump time which is why they develope the gap, the repair shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour with the correct torx bits in hand.

As far as the ASC moonroof/sunroof which are very similar in demensions to the ford factory unit they are not similar in construction, I've yet to tear into one but my lincoln does the same thing with its dealer installed ASC roof they seem to sag more than my liking toward the back of the car. I haven't tinkered with the one in my lincoln because it would require me to remove the headliner the asc roof does not have an access panel. It is also easily identified by the rubber molding around the shell of the car opposed to the slightly cleaner install of the factory optioned car.

Other dead give aways in regards to the ASC vs Ford units are:
Ford unit has a moonroof specific map light vs ASC re-uses the factory non moonroof car bubble dome light.
Ford unit has an access cover built into the headliner above the backseat vs the ASC does not.
Ford unit has a thin black plastic button vs ASC has 4 lighted rubber buttons
ASC unit says ASC on the button panel
Ford unit exposes factory painted panels when open vs ASC has a thick rubber gasket covering the sheetmetal

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the ASC sunroof so no access panel. Before I go and take the
head liner off, does anyone know if this will work for sure. Mine
closes to the correct position but sags when I start driving and the
wind pressure forces it down. If I open or vent the roof and then
close, it goes back to the correct position but then sags again after 30 seconds
of driving.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
that method most likely will not work for the ASC roof.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Well If i fix the 97, then you have to come over and help me out... you just volunteered ;)
ok let me know when you want to tinker with it.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have a problem with my sunroof. It will go back just fine, but when you go forward from being all the way back it stops and leaves a 2" opening, just like my 94 did. The problem is that when you hold the forward button again to go to the closed position, it passes up the closed position and pops up all the way. This sucks because I have to feel on the roof while bumping the switch to get it in the closed position. Does this sound like the assembly is out of time? Are there position switches in the motor that make it stop at certain points? I still have my 94 sunroof motor so if it is a contact problem, I can just swap motors. Let me know what you sunroof gurus think. Thanks in advance.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I have a problem with my sunroof. It will go back just fine, but when you go forward from being all the way back it stops and leaves a 2" opening, just like my 94 did. The problem is that when you hold the forward button again to go to the closed position, it passes up the closed position and pops up all the way. This sucks because I have to feel on the roof while bumping the switch to get it in the closed position. Does this sound like the assembly is out of time? Are there position switches in the motor that make it stop at certain points? I still have my 94 sunroof motor so if it is a contact problem, I can just swap motors. Let me know what you sunroof gurus think. Thanks in advance.
This will probably help.

Proceedure for the Ford Roof.
Basically unbolt the motor from its frame via the access panel with the key in the on position.
Push the moon roof button to vent, so that the motor spins to the vent position while not attached to it's cable/tracks.
Next push the glass as far upward as it will go for full vent.
Re-attach the motor
Ensure that it goes to full closed, full vent, full open (or as far as they ever have opened), and make sure it fully seals in the closed position (which it should now do)
The bolts shake loose over the years causing the motor to jump time which is why they develope the gap, the repair shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour with the correct torx bits in hand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts