TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Awesome, thank you racecougar.
My update for the night: made good progress today. Car is running pretty well, though not perfect. I think my current issues are Driveline/Transmission issues.
Before running for codes, I listened to my fuel injectors. Cylinder 6 was faster than the others for some reason, otherwise they all were sounding steady.
After running the car for codes and researching said codes, I got an idea what to look for. The Cougar I have needed all new vacuum lines so I am familiar with the purge valve and canister setups, though the systems are slightly different.
As for the EGR.. that may be my fault. The tube that connects to the passenger side exhaust manifold never seated for some reason. I attempted to line it up with a pry bar to some success, but I did not want to force it too far. I'd say there was 40% exposure, down to less than 5% now. I also wrapped what was left in the heat resistant fabric/foil for now.
As for the IAC, I have already cleaned it twice, so this time I decided to outright replace it.
During all of this I did not pull the battery. The car ran rough for a bit, idle was a tiny bit different, but not much. About 15 minutes into my trip I could tell it was smoothing out, though not all at once. In total I drove for about 2 hours tonight, on and off about 15 - 25 minutes at a time doing errands, highway and town driving. I am definitely happier with the car and I can currently live with it.
I can explain my other issues if anyone would like, but I am not sure if it is relevant to this thread currently. I believe my drivability issue was indeed more than one thing all just piggybacking off one another.
Thank you very much to everyone who chimed in, read, and participated in this thread.

· Registered
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh, I almost forgot. I did test my alternator, was around 13-14 volts out and a good ground. I think my starting issue is literally the starter. I had forgotten all about the starter these last few months. For context, the starter has dragged since I bought the car. I am surprised it has lasted this long.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts