TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still on my quest for a '94-'95 SC 5-speed, I was wondering what kind of difference in insurance I can expect (generally) when going from my '97 NA V6 to an SC. Any have any wisedom on this they might share?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Both sc's I've owned cost me about $20 a month to the $45 a month I paid for my old 92 sport 5.0. I think an sc is just another v6 bird to them, but on my insurance it said supercoupe, so it may vary from insurance company to company.

I auctualy pay less for my mustang every month than I did for the v8 tbird :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good, my mom was thinking because it's supercharged, two-door, etc., that it would be possibly considered a sports car to the insurance company. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My insurance did not change between my old 5.0 bird and the SC. Do not forget to tell your insurance company about ABS and the seat belts.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do they not know that the car has seatbelts? Anything else I should mention like airbags and whatnot?

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Drifting Thunder said:
Do they not know that the car has seatbelts? Anything else I should mention like airbags and whatnot?
of course. ABS, airbags, anti-theft, automatic seatbelts, etc. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch guys, I don't think we've ever mentioned any of the goodies about the '97 to the insurance companies... This will greatly help me in getting an SC in the first place also.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RedBirdSC said:
Both sc's I've owned cost me about $20 a month to the $45 a month I paid for my old 92 sport 5.0.
I'm paying literally 10 times what you do :tongue:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sucks to be you then lol, I'm only 17 and paying that:D But i get a lot of discounts lol, other wise i think it would be like 80 for my mustang and 50 for the tbird monthly. Justin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Insurance is such a stab in the dark item as far as comparablility, because of age of the person and driving record (most important). My SC is costing me 10/month more than a 2000 minivan and both have full coverage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It will cost me $288 for 6 months. Oh yeah!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Insurance is location driven. I lived in Tacoma, Washington and moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota... My premium dropped to 1/4th. I moved to Blackstone, Virginia and the price dropped again. I just moved to New Jersey and haven't changed my insurance yet (consultant status, still own home in Va. company is leasing a house for me here) but I hear it is super high here.
inuyasha! I take it you have never been to the Mid-West. You can one-foot drive all day long, even in the LARGE cities. The traffic lites have NO DELAYED GREENS. (For you guys in the mid-west...the cross traffic light will turn red, 20 seconds later your light turns green...you still have to wait for the red-light runners to clear the intersection though :leftright)
BMan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey BMan it is high here....

Hell yeah its high here in NJ.....I am paying about $2,050 a year for insurance!!! And I am 22 and have 0 points/no tickets.

I had a 1994 4.6 and when I bought my 94 Sc my insurance charged about $100 more a year no biggie...

I need to move....BMAN you are about 30 mins. if that north of me we should get together somtime..

later,
Drew

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
RedBirdSC-

$20 a month? So are you sleeping with the insurance lady or something? That sounds way to low. Is it storage insurance? :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
You guys aren't mentioning your coverage or deductables, they make a big difference. I am assuming those outrageous low rates are bare minimum and on your parents policy, you're married AND sleeping with your agent?

I payed $1100/6 mo. full coverage on my 94 SC when I got it (age 18), had no incidents/tickets had driving school, all the safety options, and student discount (if there is such a word as discount in car insurance). I'm now paying $528/6 mo. with bare minimum high deductable and still a clean record (I'm 20 now), listed as pleasure driving. This is on a group plan with my father, he is paying $123/6 mo. for his 97 v6 bird, 60 yr. old pleasure driver. I live in a medium-small city in S. AL.

Off the record my truck ins. through Progressive is $1400/6 mo. as listed in my sig. same ded. full cov. and all discounts, blah blah.

If I am doing something wrong let me in on the secret of low ins. rates cause I would at least like to not get raped so badly.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
my problem is everytime i get my rate under $100 a month (at 96 now), they find another reason to up my rates.. EVERY TIME!!!

I always get the "its a statewide raise, it affects everyone"

·
Registered
437 Posts
AEDM8-

My insurance on the SC is $18.75 a month. I live in suburb of Kansas City, and insurance is cheaper out here. Then I get discounts for multiple cars, good student, no claims or tickets, then I went to a driving school, and its liability. When I move out of my parents house in a few months my insurance says i have to go to my own policy, off my moms- She's always had a sports car*01 GT now*, 2 speeding tickets*one in my sc haha*, one wreck, and shes 35. They say when I switch to my own, its only going to go up $10 a month if I move where I think i'm going to. So i guess my insurance price has a lot to do with where I live.

Justin

ps--- I wouldnt nail my insurance lady if my life depended on it, older girls are ok with me, i dont like scrawny girls either but not a 500lb 90yrold lady. exagerating but still it woudltn be worth the discount lol.

·
Registered
658 Posts
my insurance is like $163 a month with full coverage and a $250 deductable. That all is going to change though. I totaled my 88 Mustang GT which was my first afence and my insurance is going to be like $204 a month starting in december. Of course when summer rolls around I'll be paying for two cars; my 35th and my 89 XR7 so it will be alittle more.

Shane

·
Registered
127 Posts
And what is your age and carrier? Group policy?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts