TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not exactly a Tbird/cougar question, but what would be invovled in making a Super Coupe supercharger work with a 1999 Mustang 3.8L V6?

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
At the moment, nobody (that I know of) is selling intakes that will mate the M-90 to the splitport heads. So basically, you'd have to swap the 99+ splitport heads for a pair of singleports and use the SC lower intake. And that brings it right back to the issue of durability, which comes up in a question about once a week. The M-90 is not the best choice in superchargers for a 3.8L N/A shortblock. If you need more info about that topic, there is plenty in this forum.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
You'll have to contact v6sprout on v6power.net He's making a lower intake manifold that works for the split-port heads, but he's adapting an 03 cobra blower to it. If he were willing to make one for you, I'm positive it would be very expensive, and take a lot of time, as he hasnt even got his own intake done yet. But it is being done by someone.
-Thomas

·
Registered
241 Posts
seriously tho... i think we should have a sticky thread at the top that says why slapping an M90 on the top of an NA 3.8 is a bad idea.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
:zwthstpd:

Or even just a thread that says, "before you ask about installing a Eaton M-90 on a 3.8L N/A engine, SEARCH".

This isn't guided toward you at all, pdekraker, it's just that this question comes up almost every week. You were at least asking about doing it to a splitport. :xpwink:

-Rod

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes... Its not a matter of annoyance, really. Its more of a matter of convenience to newbies who dont know the answer to the question, and dont have to hear about how stupid they are for not using the search function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know a lot has been said about putting an M90 on a N/A 3.8, and I know there are lots of good reason not to do it to the Tbird 3.8's, but I wasn't sure if the 3.8's in the 1999 Mustang are different, and hence might not have the same problems. Thanks for the tip about v6power.net, I'll go check it out.

·
8,978 Posts
well the m90 would be way easier to retro fit to a single-port 3.8 na than a split-port 3.8 na.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well... maybe. Doesnt the Split Port already have DIS? It really depends on whether or not you like wiring or doing a head swap.

·
8,978 Posts
why downgrade to single-port heads unless they're machined for larger valves? The split-port heads have a larger intake valve, at 1.9" diameter. Thats larger than my big valve heads at 1.84" If it were me, I'd look for other ways of power adding, such as a turbo setup. You could find a used t3 at a junkyard.

Yeah it has DIS, but you'd need to use a supercoupe computer anyways, so that's kind of null and void to the situation.

-Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts