TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m kinda new here, but was recommended tccoa as y’all might be able to help with my problem. I recently took on a project which entitled an 04 mustang with a 94 3.8l super coupe engine. Harness, pcm, ecu, and all electronics needed to start are here. The car had ran before but after engine rebuilt I can’t get it to start. The engine cranks but I’m not getting any spark or fuel. I tested the coil pack harness connector and I’m getting 12v. I tested the fuel pump connector and I’m receiving power to the pump. I’m assuming both my problems are coming from one issue. My crank sensor and cam sensor are adjusted to spec. If anyone has any idea on what to do next to troubleshoot the problem that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
7,928 Posts
Sounds like a bad crank sensor to me, although it could also be a failed PCM or a wiring issue. If that was my car though, I would wire it back to the stock 04 Mustang wiring and computer, and just modify as needed to fit the SC engine. Using the 94 SC PCM and harness gets rid of the OBD2, which is very helpful for diagnostic purposes when something does go wrong, and if you go back to the Mustang wiring, then when there is an electrical problem, you don’t have to guess about where a ground location, or a connector location is, or what the pinout of certain connectors are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I 100% agree with you. I would totally swap to all the stock OBD2 stuff if I had it but unfortunately I do not. I figured out my fuel pump is bad, so that solves that problem. But now I need to figure out the spark issue. When the engine is cranking the check engine light goes away so that usually indicates that it isn’t the crank or cam sensor. Plus, if the cam sensor was bad I’d still be getting some spark. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That solves the fuel issue ..

Spark is controlled by CKP signal .. Like you said if the CEL goes out during cranking indicates the PCM is receiving a signal. The spark is triggered by the DIS module .. They are pretty solid on the 94/95 unless its not grounded properly or you missed a wiring connection / loose connector somewhere along the lines up to the coil pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll check ground connections tonight and clean them all up, I did test for power on the harness connector that connects into the coil pack and got 12 volts. I tested for resistance and voltage on the prongs of the coil pack and received no voltage and OL for resistance while cranking. Think it could be as simple as needing a new coil pack? Any other way to test the coil pack before replacing it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts