TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys the weather is finally warm enough to start my M90 Cobra motor install into my 94 SC. So far ive pulled the entire SC powertrain including all related wiring harnesses. Just the boring stuff for now.

Powerwashed engine compartment
Installed the new "custom" Cobra harness and PCM
Installed "custom" adapter from the EEC harness to 94 SC dash
Installed 1.25 Addco front sway bar
Mark VIII coolant reservoir

Soon to be done-:confused::eek:

Install K-member spacers(.25) and sway bar mounting bracket spacers(.50)
install Cobra starter harness and Battery harness- with necessary adjustments
modify Cobra PS pump to use EVO sensor
Install Cobra motor for mach ups.

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/leesr1979/library/Cobra Thunderbird?sort=3&page=1

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Awesome! Where did ya scoop the motor & trans from?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Where did ya scoop the motor & trans from?
I found it collecting dust in a storage room at Roush. I worked in the performance division there for about 7 years. Didnt pay that great but it had its perks.;):D
I wont even tell you what I paid for it.:cool: The trans was not attached to the engine I bought that seperately from Roush. It already has a hydraulic slave in it so its ready for the SC set up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thats freakin sweet. & now you have me curious of what you paid for it lol.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Q: Did you fabricate your own M90 => 5.0 lower intake?

Also, from what I've read, lots of folks seem to believe that the M90 is undersized for a 302.
Is this just a case of "its hard to beat cheap" or do you think their concerns are just a bunch of hooey?

-g

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What 302?
Nevermind, I though that the Cobra engine he was using was a 5.0 (94-95) and not a 4.6.
You guys recognize V8s better than me.
-g

Ahh, I see now that it's got a distributorless ignition system. Hence, more than likely a 4V Cobra 4.6L engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also, from what I've read, lots of folks seem to believe that the M90 is undersized for a 302.
Is this just a case of "its hard to beat cheap" or do you think their concerns are just a bunch of hooey?

-g
Well for those who say that the M90 is too small for a 4.6 when I worked at Roush we were bolting M90s to 4.6 3 valves and gaining 120 hp and about the same or a little more torque. This is something you can look up on the internet for verification. Just because it won't boost 12 psi doesn't mean that its too small. I would think I can get 8 psi and be verry happy.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

-g
Its a prototype engine built by Ford .. not some do it yourself hack job, I have spare parts lying around.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I would think I can get 8 psi and be verry happy.
Not only is 8psi nothing to sneeze at, if you can drop the ACTs down within a few degrees of ambient, those 8psi could possibly translate into "12psi's" worth of non-intercooled actual airflow. After all, it's all really about airflow when it comes to making power. Use an ice-water-to-air intercooler, and any tiny supercharger can move some hefty amounts of air mass.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
MP is now providing Gen 5~6 abradive rotor pack coating improving effeciency, lowering temps. Should have this delivered in a week or two.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
MP is now providing Gen 5~6 abradive rotor pack coating improving effeciency, lowering temps. Should have this delivered in a week or two.
yup, there's always lots of little things that can improve efficiency that will show up at the rear wheels. It's just no one [few] bothered to pay attention in physics class in high school/college. I'm sure ceramic bearings for the high rotational speeds (> 12,000 rotor RPM using a 1:2 gear-up ratio and a 6k engine redline) of the rotors could free up a few HP here and there. If it takes even 5 less HP to spin the rotors, it ends up at the wheels. Superfinish the rotor gears, another couple HP there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup, there's always lots of little things that can improve efficiency that will show up at the rear wheels. It's just no one [few] bothered to pay attention in physics class in high school/college. I'm sure ceramic bearings for the high rotational speeds (> 12,000 rotor RPM using a 1:2 gear-up ratio and a 6k engine redline) of the rotors could free up a few HP here and there. If it takes even 5 less HP to spin the rotors, it ends up at the wheels. Superfinish the rotor gears, another couple HP there.
You are a wealth of information when it comes to anything with numbers and physics. I see why you are a math teacher.
There are alot of things that I would love to do to this thing but I need to take it one step at a time. Right now I'm just focusing on getting it in the car and drivinig down the road. Even if its not as efficient as it can be it will be a big step up from the SC
V-6. For right now i will put a Meth Inj kit on it and get it tuned.

Thanks
Lee

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do have to say the roush 4.6 is going to be fun having some thing like that in a thunderbird or cougar it would make every one look twice. Once seeing the smiling look that is being seen. The second is looking at the car.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Good luck with your build, lots of helpful folks and info on this forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing big happened today just bolted up the Mark VIII PS pump to retain the EVO sensor. I was gonna just put the sensor on the cobra pump but no luck. They are different pumps, so the Mark VIII pump got the Cobra pulley and DONE.

Removed the high pressure line and return line to install the SS Braided lines.

Flipped the motor upside down and removed the pan just to inspect a little. This motor has been sitting for a long time so I wanted to see the cylinder walls and look for any kind of moisture damage. There was none. The inside of this motor looks brand new. There is hardly any witness marks in the cylinders to indicate piston travel. :D

I think this motor is gonna be sittin in the car very soon. Im gettin antsy but dont wanna skip a step.:rolleyes:

Thanks
Lee

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Flipped the motor upside down and removed the pan just to inspect a little. This motor has been sitting for a long time so I wanted to see the cylinder walls and look for any kind of moisture damage. There was none. The inside of this motor looks brand new. There is hardly any witness marks in the cylinders to indicate piston travel. :D
This is very encouraging information, I've had a newly rebuilt 3.8 SC engine sitting inside and outside for the past four years. Its sealed (tape over exhaust ports) but I was concerned about rust forming inside and no way to address cleaning prior to install/start up.

Is there any type of additive I could use on start up besides just dumping the first oil change at early miles/hours?

Chris

1 - 20 of 126 Posts