TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
That car stereo is super 90s, I love it! I have always put Pioneers into my cars over the years (decades TBH). Even the 8ish year old Pioneer in my Cougar has some cheesy graphics options available. The ones I had 15 or 20 years ago even more so.
It's strange that anything retro from 2000s or earlier seems to be going up in price quickly. IDK if it's shortages or nostalgia but prices are out of control on old tech these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me its nostalgia.

As I look at it, me looking at the 90s is like the previous generation looking at the 60s and 70s.
So Im building my 96 as if I was going on Power Tour 1999/2000.
I think that radio would be a great touch.

Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
That look is way more early to mid 2000s than 90s IMO, receivers in the 90s still had big buttons and VFD displays, and what the **** is a MP3? 馃ぃ

90s were great though, early 00s sucked ass. Pretty much everything shitty about the time we currently live in started or took off around 2000-2001, the shitty music, every car was suddenly silver and had 4 doors, cell phones became must have items, political bullshit, Star Wars prequels, me starting middle school, ugh! **** that era lol

Super Moderator
90s were great though, early 00s sucked ass. Pretty much everything shitty about the time we currently live in started or took off around 2000-2001, the shitty music, every car was suddenly silver and had 4 doors, cell phones became must have items, political bullshit, Star Wars prequels, me starting middle school, ugh! **** that era lol
I was doing MP3s late 1990's - they started in 1987(!!!) on what ended up being MP3s in 1993 (see Timeline (mp3-history.com) ).

RwP

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
I have a detachable face Panasonic that I bought in 98 and used it for 5 years or so. My nephew used it for a while after my car got stored for a decade and a half. I'd like to get it refurbished, but not sure who would do that or if it'd cost a small fortune? The face had cool sound following schemes. Bad thing was the screen was a half second off.

Mine had a black background, instead of the blue. Much more vibrant and had 45Wx4 channel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have an old Alpine that I got from the 90 when Mike gave me the chassis. But the face is loose, when you hit a bump it turns the radio off. If I could get that refurbished, Id keep it and save the money from buying another radio. But idk who to go to for that.

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
Based on recollection, and knowing mine was over $300 at the time, I think the one you have here was a few years later. I'd guess 2002-2005ish.

Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
I cant find a lot of info on these radios. I thought they were released in 95 from how I heard a guy talking about them. "If you had one of these things 25 years ago you were a God!"
Definitely not 25, I looked up their catalogs this is 98, still before the switch to 2 knobs and dolphins

Here鈥檚 the dolphins in the 2001 catalog

pics of the alpine? I really really want one of the older decks with the ice cube buttons

Registered
I had that cd player in my '90 SC that I bought off of Jason Miller. My girlfriend at the time loved it.

Premium Member
I was doing MP3s late 1990's - they started in 1987(!!!) on what ended up being MP3s in 1993 (see Timeline (mp3-history.com) ).

RwP
I was downloading MP3's off websites on my 56 K Flex modem back in the 90's. I recall MP3 getting popular with sound effect websites early on. They were obviously a lot smaller than Wav files, but you had to have a fast processor to play mp3's. It wasn't until Napster and such sharing programs came around in the very late 90's early 00's and mp3's started getting huge.

Fun times to be alive. Kids these days don't even know what a MP3 is, let alone Winamp or ripping a CD. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I do have an old Alpine that I got from the 90 when Mike gave me the chassis. But the face is loose, when you hit a bump it turns the radio off. If I could get that refurbished, Id keep it and save the money from buying another radio. But idk who to go to for that.
I'm assuming it's a detachable face? I'd check the connections for corrosion or see if they are worn/ bent so as to not make a solid connection, it could also be a loose solder joint. Also, if it's a flip down face, the flex cable could be broken.

When I installed the radio in my 97 years ago half the speakers weren't working. Ended up being the solder joints on the main board to the wiring harness. Every one was a cold solder joint, that should have never made it past EOL. I reflowed them and it lasted for years.
I need to open up the face plate and see about replacing the backlighting b/c it's so dim.

It's a DEH-P6000, one of the first Mosfet 45x4 head units.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.