1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
These are pictures after the first week in the paint shop.

·
Super Moderator
13,634 Posts
What color's it going to be? You may have said but I missed it.

Scuffed that Valve cover did you?

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What color's it going to be? You may have said but I missed it.

Scuffed that Valve cover did you?
This car is the Black/Grey and red car. Paint is done. I'm just uploading the bulk of the pictures I've taken along the way. As far as the valve cover goes the motor was assembled in November 2019. Then it didn't go in the car as originally planned. We set the engine on a wheeled cart. I covered it with plastic and put a ratchet strap around it so it wouldn't tip over. The mark in the valve cover is there from the ratchet strap being on too long. The motor was installed in August of 2020. At that moment there wasn't time to stop and re do the valve covers. I'm gonna remedy the situation.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
717 Posts
Couple questions.

I really like the door handles, but what did you do for locks?

Did I see you shaving your antenna out of the front fender. I think I will do that as well, just wandered what you'll use for antenna if any?

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Couple questions.

I really like the door handles, but what did you do for locks?

Did I see you shaving your antenna out of the front fender. I think I will do that as well, just wandered what you'll use for antenna if any?
We bought a hidden antenna. Plenty available on the internet. Inexpensive. All The door lock mechanisims are still intact, just no Key cylinders. Installing an alarm this weekend with door lock/unlock capability. At this point the car has no exterior key locks. With the new door handles you couldn't slim jim your way into this thing. You can still use a rod to press the door lock and unlock buttons or pull the door handle. But thats the same as any MN12.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
717 Posts
Nice and clean!

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nice and clean!
It is clean. I kind of just stare at it. We are pretty happy with it so far. We still have things to do to it, but it is satisfying.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,909 Posts
How did you get the wires to run like that? Isn't it wasted spark? I don't quite understand the system.

The wires that switch banks are directed under the alternator. That’s actually the factory way on these cars, over the alternator was the Mustang and Crown Vic method, and the aluminum crossover recall intakes all came with the “ears over the alternator” alternator bracket.

Waste spark isn’t rocket science, the coil packs have two coils inside each, so a total of 4 coils have to fire 8 cylinders. Every cylinder has a companion cylinder where the pistons travel in their bores at the same time in the same position but one is on its power stroke(or I should say the end of the compression stroke) igniting the air/fuel mixture, and one is on the exhaust stroke, igniting nothing since the energy is expelled into inert exhaust gas. Saves processing power in the ignition module or EEC and keeps the coils compact. As technology improved that’s when smaller coils were developed to mount directly over the spark plugs and the cylinders could be fired individually(COP).

Only con with waste spark really is you NEED double platinum plugs(at least half of them anyway) since one side of the coil will always have them firing off of the side electrode instead of the center.

View attachment 42643

Just wanted to say how crazy similar our engines are dressed up!
Wonder who gave you that idea 🙂

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
These are the last photos in primer in mid December 2020. Full paint was just a few days away.

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My son and I assembled the body panels ourselves at the paint shop before painting. But on Paint day we stayed home. We didn't want to bother the painter. We let him work. But we had to wait for pictures from him. These are the shots he sent us. The red was first. Then he did the black and charcoal. Then clearcoat. The last picture in this group was our first taste of the color after clear.

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
Very nice color combo! Tell me more about those door handles.

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Very nice color combo! Tell me more about those door handles.
They are from Kindigit designs. Not for the faint of heart. Door handles have to be shaved. Then the opening for the handles have to be cut out. Then the inside edge of the handles have to be welded to the door skin and metal worked. They are very high quality. Very nicely made. All machined steel. Have a very nice feel when you open the door.

·
SuperNewbie
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I love it! Good to see an MN12 brought back, and brought back better than factory. How does Jr like it?
The Great and All Powerful Turdferguson has returned!!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You should get that insured by Hagerty or similar classic car insurance company, if you haven't already.

Al

Reactions: supergordo
41 - 60 of 66 Posts