TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, with varying amounts of work to adapt depending on what model year we're working with here.
The kit is for a 97 4.6 mustang and I have a 4.6 97 thunderbird,they say it makes a crap ton of gains,what’s the safe limit for the bottom end?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
General rule of thumb is 400-425 rwhp on the stock pistons/rods.

Who is "they"?
They is the people that have installed this on their mustangs😂sorry should’ve had more specifics, but the tbird and mustang share the same motor right so why wouldn’t it work?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Don't forget to include the fuel mods, computer mods, transmission updates, and even exhaust mods needed to support such an increase in HP. $10k might cover them + the cost of the supercharger.

Al

·
The Parts Guy
7,578 Posts
They is the people that have installed this on their mustangs😂sorry should’ve had more specifics, but the tbird and mustang share the same motor right so why wouldn’t it work?
It WILL work.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is there anyway to add forced induction? They dont sell anything for our cars anymore😢
Back in my day it was done all the time... you could do remote turbos they have also been done. As with the mention of the above kits mention already.

Before you start adding power the weak point is the Tranny build that up you will need stronger rear axles. Once you start putting down power in these heavy cars you start snapping them like twigs. Investing 10 to 15k will get you reliable power if you do the work yourself and can find the parts.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am not sure why one would spend a lot of money on these cars to add a crap load of power? Like said above, what about the whole package?

I still remember Goldbird, after it was done it just fell apart after a few years. Mike had lots of problems and ended up selling it not running. I bet he had 30k in add ons in that car.

Heck, I spent 20k on mine and it has a stock PI Motor and Jmoded Trans. But the whole package, exhaust, suspension, gears, brakes, interior ..., but it has been a heck of a daily driver over the 20 years of modding. Plus there aren't many out there anymore.

You just can only push them so much. You can buy some pretty fast used Mustangs these days that are stock for not all that much coin.

I am not sure what was wrong with the Ford 3.8 supercharged. I have bought 3 Buick Regal 3.8 GS Supercharged with M90 blowers for my daughters over the years. I now have the youngest's daughters 04 Regal GS. These thing are super reliable, but FWD. It still is a beast pulling up the mountain every morning with 235k and almost no repairs ever. Not quite like the PI Tbird w/3.73, but not bad at all and passes most everything.

·
The Parts Guy
7,578 Posts
Meh. I'm still beating on mine multiple times a week. Nearly twenty years now, and over thirteen on this drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
13,536 Posts
Holy crap that’s quite a Thunderbird you have there! How much money you think you have in it?
LOL ... It's a Cougar. It's in his username and signature.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe
21 - 34 of 34 Posts