TCCoA Forums banner

Superchargers available for 4.6

44K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Don Pfau 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to make a website list of common supercharger "kits"available for your 4.6L Thunderbird or Cougar.
**Note: Most of these don't come to you as complete kits, but require some fabrication to make them work...these are marketed toward the Mustang crowd.

Allen Superchargers (AED) - Now defunct
Ford Racing parts/SVO - You can contact the Preferred Vendor for TCCoA or other vendors that have treated our members well.

Tork Tech
Kenne Bell
Vortech
Procharger
Paxton/Novi

Again, only the AED and FRPP/SVO came/come at "kits", per se. All other will require some imagination and ingenuity.
As always, these kits make their way to Ebay, so you might be able to find a deal on a used "kit".

#3 ·
I have a Vortech supercharger on my 96, but I would highly reccomend a roots style blower for a daily driver. - Either an Allen or a KB.
The problem with centrifical superchargers is that it makes all of its power high up.
I don't start making boost until 3500 rpm's, while this is ok with a high stall tq converter,
the supercharger doesn't throw you back in your seat like it should.

#4 ·
There are a few with AED's.
The difference between a pre-96 installed AED and a 96-97 is that you have to upgrade a few parts in order to get it up to snuff for the install. See AED's website for the details or do a search. It's here, too.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Chris_Murder said:
This supercharger I stumbled upon on ebay looks a bit over simplified, would it work for our vehicles or is it a waste of $, I don't plan on a supercharger anytime soon but I thought I'd look around a bit and start doing homework

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...hZ019QQitemZ7974356022QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
I've been running that charger for 90,000 miles on my bird. Great unit as long as you understand it's limitations. Took 8 hours to install including dropping the tank for the new fuel pump

#7 ·
Vortech will be the easiest to install out of any of the other superchargers.
~Unless you go with an electric supercharger aka leafblower :)

#9 ·
You can do it, but you need to cut the hood in order to get it to fit.

#14 ·
The KB is not a full kit, even for the Mustang. I've heard that if you call KB and ask for a GT kit and you mention that you want to put it on your Thunderbird, they'll laugh and hang up.
Now one person here has done it...Bullittbird. It takes a lot of custom fab work and way more money than your probably want to spend on a forged motor and other goodies.

#24 ·
through the grape vine i suppose. not too long ago they were up for sale as listed on their site. i seem to remember a thread where several reputable people were talking about it. supposedly they stopped answering their formerly listed phone number a couple weeks back. maybe i should have said "im almost positive they are out of business". ask 95Silverbird, i believe he knows whats up.

-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.