TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 tbird sport 5.0 and I am looking into forced induction for my engine.

It seems like theres almost no options for forced induction for our cars other than centrifugal SC. Ive done a bit of research and I want to learn more about what I can do to boost my engine. I like superchargers the most and would prefer a SC setup before a turbo and the centrifugals seem to be the most expensive out of the 3 options.

I have found a few examples on 302's

Here is with a M122
Which is a crazy amount of fab work but it would probably work on our cars with the fab work and mods.

Here is with a M112

Here is with a M90

I am interested in making a setup for a supercharger for my car but I do not have the skill/money to make it like the post with the M122. I was thinking more of a setup like the post with the M112 sitting on top of a GT40 lower intake and throwing a water to air intercooler in the space in between the adapter plate.

I have a spare M90 from an 89 Super Coupe but alot of forums say they are too small for 5.0's and make too much heat, would it work good if I ported it and ran it with the IC? I could also buy an M122 near me for a decent price but it would cost me alot more than the M90 I already own, and no sign of M112 near me or cheap.

It seems like it would be a pretty simple straightforward setup, a simple adapter plate and IC in the middle and run a water cooler setup, and I would upgrade parts acordingly.

I would want to aim for 400-450Hp.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
5.0 engines are well known to split the block at some HP level; everyone I know that put a blower on one split it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5.0 engines are well known to split the block at some HP level; everyone I know that put a blower on one split it.
I read up that they are usually safe to keep at 500hp or less so I am aiming to stay under that amount. If she does split I would swap in a 351w and go from there. I dont think I could make enough power with an m90 to split it anyways.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
If she does split I would swap in a 351w and go from there. I dont think I could make enough power with an m90 to split it anyways.
Skip the split and go for the 351. 😉

You're probably right though; your budget build isn't going to make that much power and that early style M90 isn't really a good blower.

You're not going to get 400 HP without spending thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the amount of money it would to take to port and intercool an M90 setup you can make the same(or more) building it for NA power. You simply won’t hit 400horsepower with a M90
How much power do you think is possible?
Ive read on the mustang forums that the guys running m90’s on their 302 are hitting 360-380whp barely moddified so wouldn’t 400hp at the crank be possible?

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,772 Posts
If you want 360 or so at the crank, go for a decent set of 185cc intake aftermarket aluminum heads, intake and cam. Then later If you want 400/425hp, pull the motor and refresh it with a 331/347 stroker kit. If you want 500+ at the crank, go forged 347, with 195-205cc heads and more cam. No need to add an SC but the last setup will be closer to 10k.

If you want 300 to the crank, buy a SC and leave the rest alone.

These all assume you have long tubes, good exhaust, tune and a trans that will hold it.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
How much power do you think is possible?
Ive read on the mustang forums that the guys running m90’s on their 302 are hitting 360-380whp barely moddified so wouldn’t 400hp at the crank be possible?
On an engine with better airflow the boost will simply drop and the gains of the supercharger will diminish. 360-380 crank really is about the absolute max I’d expect out of the M90.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have seen a couple Kenny Bell kits here lately. They were decent back in the day. The biggest hurdle is the short pulley accessories in these cars. Basically that means fix body stuff won't fit. SN95 stuff often does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want 360 or so at the crank, go for a decent set of 185cc intake aftermarket aluminum heads, intake and cam. Then later If you want 400/425hp, pull the motor and refresh it with a 331/347 stroker kit. If you want 500+ at the crank, go forged 347, with 195-205cc heads and more cam. No need to add an SC but the last setup will be closer to 10k.

If you want 300 to the crank, buy a SC and leave the rest alone.

These all assume you have long tubes, good exhaust, tune and a trans that will hold it.
I currently have Mac 1 5/8 long tubes and the M5R2 behind the 5.0 so i think it should be fine to handle the power the block can hold.

And yeah thats the thing, I dont have the biggest budget so thats why forced induction sounded better to me than good aluminum heads and stroker kit that would cost me alot more than ive got to spend on the car :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On an engine with better airflow the boost will simply drop and the gains of the supercharger will diminish. 360-380 crank really is about the absolute max I’d expect out of the M90.
Will the water to air intercooler setup be good? I seen some setups on mustang 5.0’s and it doesnt seem like they even run an intercooler? Also would it be worth porting the m90 and getting it coated or should i save and buy a bigger blower? I just have the M90 right now so thats why im leaning towards it to save $.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
Will the water to air intercooler setup be good? I seen some setups on mustang 5.0’s and it doesnt seem like they even run an intercooler? Also would it be worth porting the m90 and getting it coated or should i save and buy a bigger blower? I just have the M90 right now so thats why im leaning towards it to save $.
Save money and get bigger blower. But no, I would build the engine for NA power, Windsor based builds are just more conducive to attain that kind of power level, stroker(or 351(or stroked 351!!))big cam, good heads and intake can get you north of 400 horsepower. Modulars are displacement limited but are strong so plopping one of the many ready made blowers to one is practical, but not a 5.0, you don’t see many because there are better avenues. Forced induction is never cheap, even when it is cheap. It’s a lot easier to melt a piston or window the block with a rod just from the tune being slightly off than with NA, not cheap. And tuning with a blower requires dyno sessions, not mail order, also not cheap.

Beyond that Turbo would be my choice if there’s any custom fabrication involved, which it seems like would be a necessity to fit an intercooled SC M90 to a 5.0. But once again; Ebay turbos are cheap, carnage from turbos, not so cheap!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Save money and get bigger blower. But no, I would build the engine for NA power, Windsor based builds are just more conducive to attain that kind of power level, stroker(or 351(or stroked 351!!))big cam, good heads and intake can get you north of 400 horsepower. Modulars are displacement limited but are strong so plopping one of the many ready made blowers to one is practical, but not a 5.0, you don’t see many because there are better avenues. Forced induction is never cheap, even when it is cheap. It’s a lot easier to melt a piston or window the block with a rod just from the tune being slightly off than with NA.

Beyond that Turbo would be my choice if there’s any custom fabrication involved, which it seems like would be a necessity to fit an intercooled SC M90 to a 5.0. But once again; Ebay turbos are cheap, carnage from turbos, not so cheap!
Has anyone made a turbo 5.0 setup on a tbird here? I seen Chief Dbo on youtube has made a turbo setup on his 4.6 that sticks out the hood but i would rather a more hidden look if i went turbo.

Ive read that 351w swaps get expensive and i would only want to swap once my engine dies but i do like the idea of that engine.

Are there any good cheap aluminum heads available? If I went with Afr’s would probably run me up 2000$+CAD for a pair

I was mainly interested in Superchargers as the setup seemed easier and i like the whine but i would be open to turbos, NA power seems more on the expensive side and i just dont have much funds hence why my m90 idea came to mind.

Thanks for the replies now you got me thinking of too many options :p

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you're on a budget, find a GT40 setup from an explorer and add cam, like discussed in another thread. It will be a nice increase in power and the freer following heads would actually make a bigger supercharger work better later. These cars are expensive to make fast, but it can be done a bit over time.

Or spray the thing...125 shot on top of the GT40 stuff would get you there

·
Administrator
14,681 Posts
Has anyone made a turbo 5.0 setup on a tbird here? I seen Chief Dbo on youtube has made a turbo setup on his 4.6 that sticks out the hood but i would rather a more hidden look if i went turbo.

Ive read that 351w swaps get expensive and i would only want to swap once my engine dies but i do like the idea of that engine.

Are there any good cheap aluminum heads available? If I went with Afr’s would probably run me up 2000$+CAD for a pair

I was mainly interested in Superchargers as the setup seemed easier and i like the whine but i would be open to turbos, NA power seems more on the expensive side and i just dont have much funds hence why my m90 idea came to mind.

Thanks for the replies now you got me thinking of too many options :p
Did someone say turbo setup? Does anyone remember this guy?

Or this guy?

“ … any good cheap aluminum heads available?”

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

You may want to join this FB group. There have been a few things that tempt me for sale, but not quite what I've wanted so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts