TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 3.8 and i am getting a sc that needs a lot of work. i was wondering if i could put the supercharger parts on my car. will the internals hold up or would i be wasting my time? hit me back, dan.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yes, they will bolt up... no, the internals will not hold up.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Why not drop the SC motor into your 97? A JModded 4R70W ought to be able to survive if it bolts up. I think it should, but I can be wrong on this point.

·
Registered
917 Posts
no no no... you want a supercharged v6? buy an SC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't waste your time

But ......if your pockets are deep

Get a new PA built tranny, 8.8 rear, new drive shaft, bigger half shaft. And most importantly, a built engine with forged internals that can handle boost.

After spending around 9k then you are ready for boost. The only question is, who makes kits for N/A Tbirds?

I wouldn't mine getting my hands on a Kenn Bell 1.7L autorotor. The supercoupe guys have found a way to mate one up to their cars, what about us?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
ok ok i've got the best possible solution for you:

swap a splitport 4.2L in, save money, save gas, get good results.
or, if you're feeling cheap, simply buy a splitport 3.8L. They are common and CHEAP. (the 4.2Ls are harder to find and generally more expensive but you do get more hp)
get a 03-04 windstar intake (the 1999-2002 intakes are PLASTIC and are to be avoided at all costs), or F-150 intake. Port-match the Windstar intake.
oh, and pull the 5-speed gearbits out of the SC. (if it is a 5spd, if not, keep your 4R70W)
and pull the SC's 8.8 rear diff.
and the driveshaft.
and the halfshafts.
and the springs.
and the swaybars.
pull SC 8-way adj. power seats.
install parts in your car.

put your parts (springs, sway bars, d/s, rear diff, automatic gearbox) onto the SC.
strip sc.
race gutted SC.

have fun. :)

the end!

that said, SCs are such a bastard. I owned one, and while it was the fastest car I have ever owned in my life, good jesus, was it a BASTARD to work on. It died when the N/A 3.8L bottom end that was in it happened to snap the crankshaft at the #1 cylinder under boost. That was a sad day. If I had the chance, I'd do it all over again, too. But I'm happy with 4.6L now.. even though it isn't what the 3.8L was. and gets crappier mileage.

-ghost

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
well actually a stock 3.8 can hold some boost respectably (as long as you get enough fuel in them). i think thomas had mentioned sometime that they can hold about 8lbs. roughly.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Actually, from what I read, you can get SC like numbers by just doing a splitport swap to your N/A motor. From there you can put in a cam during the swap and a SCT chip for more go. If you watch what intake you put on, you can go back with a Vortech or a turbo for even more insanity.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
A split port swap will not get SC hp numbers. The 89-93 SC was rated at 215 hp while the 94-95 were at 230 hp.

A split port Mustang was rated at 190-200 hp.

Cammed and chipped with a few other bolt ons has resulted in about 230-250 hp for most Mustang V6 owners.

A 94-95 SC with a 89-93 %10 overdrive pulley will reach that power level. Add exhaust, larger TB and MAF and cold air etc., and you will be between 280-300 hp. The major difference though will be the torque. While big hp is nice, it's big torque that rocks.

Most don't realize that torque is what gets a car to about 3/4 of the way down the quarter mile.

My mildly modded LX pulls pretty decent of the line, but my bro's heavily modded SC literally sucks you back in the seat.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
A 94-95 SC with a 89-93 %10 overdrive pulley will reach that power level. Add exhaust, larger TB and MAF and cold air etc., and you will be between 280-300 hp.
It takes more then just those few bolt-ons to hit 280hp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts