TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I want to lower my 94 LX 4.6 a little all the way around, and was wondering what or if there was any difference between the 89-95 SC coil springs and the factory 94-95 LX coil springs?

I love my LX. She only has 15,800 original miles and I am the second owner. But, it rides was too soft for me. I want a better handling bird, but don't want to slam the car. Are the SC springs any shorter than the LX, and what is the difference in spring rate between the SC and LX 4.6 springs?

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,484 Posts
Here's an article on spring rates. We haven't reviewed it yet so there are some subjective statements in it, but the objective data should be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This website has a couple of options for lowering

I plan to get the QA1 coilovers after I get some trans/rearend work taken care of.

They also have the Vogtland springs which are far cheaper. I'm just not convinced they would be much of an improvment mated with the garbage KYB shocks which are about all I can find for the car.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
A few years ago I put a set of 1994 SC springs in a 1997 LX and it actually lifted the car up. Looked a tad odd.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
The stance changes with the sport springs.
When I redid the rear on Lazarus with poly everywhere and added the mark lower arms and sport springs with new poly spring cups it looks 60's era jacked up. :)
And is Stiff as Fsck.
It has the konis on it. :)

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
I used a set of sport springs on our 98 Mark 8 on the coil spring conversion. That looks very good on that car.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had 93 SC springs on my 95 around 15 years ago and then went to the Vogtland 1" drop which was a better choice. Also new vs some old springs.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
903 Posts
If a person has a set of SC or JJJJ springs setting around, you might try cutting a half coil out and see how it sits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts