TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with the KYB shocks SCP sell? I need to replace my stock ones and I also wanted to get lowered springs so I need something that will handle the drop,looking at the Vogtland 1.6 springs.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You can get the KYB shocks from Summit for a lot less than SCP. I paid 155 plus handling for a set of 4.

I haven't put them on yet. That's happening in two weeks. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Or rockauto.com. That's where I picked up a replacement for one of mine that had a nut seized on it.
As far as experience with them, they are too soft in my opinion. My last bird had Bilsteins, so I might have been spoiled. The stock sport shocks are better if you ever come across some.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Or rockauto.com. That's where I picked up a replacement for one of mine that had a nut seized on it.
As far as experience with them, they are too soft in my opinion. My last bird had Bilsteins, so I might have been spoiled. The stock sport shocks are better if you ever come across some.
Nothing can be as soft as my worn out shocks. I've only had it 3 years but I can almost guarntee they are the original shocks. BTW my Cougar has 204k on it :beek:

Don't you know they are going to be fun to get off.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
check out shox.com too, they offer free shipping on most shocks. Ive bought KYB's and Koni's from them and were here in a few days. They process orders really quickly. TCCOA members get a discount too.

If you buy Koni's hold onto your receipt you'll need it :)

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
A few people here including myself have had bad experiences with the Koni Sports (adjustables), they just don't last. I think my front ones were in all of 6 months before one completely blew out and the other one was leaking. The ones on the back seem ok but they don't get the abuse the front ones get.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
check out shox.com too, they offer free shipping on most shocks. Ive bought KYB's and Koni's from them and were here in a few days. They process orders really quickly. TCCOA members get a discount too.

If you buy Koni's hold onto your receipt you'll need it :)
+1

bought shocks 4 times off shox.com. excellent price and service

·
Registered
557 Posts
A few people here including myself have had bad experiences with the Koni Sports (adjustables), they just don't last. I think my front ones were in all of 6 months before one completely blew out and the other one was leaking. The ones on the back seem ok but they don't get the abuse the front ones get.
Interesting...I'll have to look into that. I've always heard nothing but good about the Koni's.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Well with my experience with Koni's and posts I've read here over the last 5 years was enough for me to steer away from them. Lowered cars are also harder on shocks and driving styles has an impact too. People have had good luck with them too though, just my preference.

·
Super Moderator
16,751 Posts
Everyone I know with Konis has been happy with them. I've heard about the bilstiens breaking spring mounts, Tokico blues losing their firmness after a week, KYB being plain junk, ect. Nothing bad is usually said about konis other than being really stiff.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Everyone I know with Konis has been happy with them. I've heard about the bilstiens breaking spring mounts, Tokico blues losing their firmness after a week, KYB being plain junk, ect. Nothing bad is usually said about konis other than being really stiff.
And $600 a set then you have to cut apart the OEM front shocks and put the Koni's in. For $600 the damn things better install themselves. I myself have better things to spend money on then $600 sets of shocks.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
And $600 a set then you have to cut apart the OEM front shocks and put the Koni's in. For $600 the damn things better install themselves. I myself have better things to spend money on then $600 sets of shocks.
:crazy:

my fronts with springs cost $700.

rear shocks I'm going to use are Mustang Koni adjustables.

So, I guess I have roughly $1000 in shocks on my car.....

want to go fast, and be able to handle it?
You have to spend money.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Ive installed a couple sets of Koni's in Tbirds .. fun job. I dont care much for having to set the adjustment, but it is a nice feature if you like playing with your settings.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
You have to spend money.
Agreed.

I love my konis; I had to adjust them when it got cold, and again when it warmed up, but other than that they rule.

They were too stiff with my summer settings when the temp dropped below about 40, so I had to back off a half-turn.

Koni's do have a limit on a drop, tho; I remember reading the number, but I don't remember what it was, lol.

I'm adding adjustable spring perches to the next set I build, along with my sport springs. :)

I'd rather have a set of QA-1's; anyone else in for a group purchase? No one? Hello?

(lol; look at _95badbird's $1000 shocks, iirc)

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I loved mine too till they blew out 6 months later.

But like a lot of parts it's hit and miss. My Bird is only dropped 1.5" so that possibly may have had something to do with it but I doubt it. I drive my car a lot of highway miles through mountains and love the it way drives now. Not too soft, not too stiff and its glued to the road in the turns.

I screwed up on a previous post too, I don't have the KYB's I have the Tokico HP blues on the front. I realized my mistake when I reread the post. My brain must have misfired, a lot going on lately here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
:crazy:

my fronts with springs cost $700.

rear shocks I'm going to use are Mustang Koni adjustables.

So, I guess I have roughly $1000 in shocks on my car.....

You have to spend money.
Yeah seriously, I agree. Besides spending money on tokico's or kyb's is like throwing $250+ out the window....
(or whatever they cost these days).

if you compare fully adjustable coilovers, given there really isn't much of any good shock options (without having old front bilsteins to rebuild), if your buying springs and shox I think fully adjustable coilovers are the way to go, not alot more, and you get so much more adjustability. Ride height, spring rate choices, fully adjustable shock valving.

Don't you have some on yours badbird?

I don't think there is any kind of bolt-in kit for the Tbird unfortunately so it's got to be all custom, and then it helps to work with a company whom knows what they are doing for proper mounting/geometry, spring rates and shock selection, etc.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Yeah seriously, I agree. Besides spending money on tokico's or kyb's is like throwing $250+ out the window....
(or whatever they cost these days).

if you compare fully adjustable coilovers, given there really isn't much of any good shock options (without having old front bilsteins to rebuild), if your buying springs and shox I think fully adjustable coilovers are the way to go, not alot more, and you get so much more adjustability. Ride height, spring rate choices, fully adjustable shock valving.

Don't you have some on yours badbird?

I don't think there is any kind of bolt-in kit for the Tbird unfortunately so it's got to be all custom, and then it helps to work with a company whom knows what they are doing for proper mounting/geometry, spring rates and shock selection, etc.
Yes, in the front.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts