• 2nd gen

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance at some supercoupe wheels to replace the fan blades that are on my car now.

The question is this
1st or 2nd gen supercoupe wheels any and all opions welcome

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think I am in the minority because I have seen many people say the second gen SC wheels are hideous.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like the 2nd gens., but love the 1st gen ones.

To be more correct, I actually love both generations of SC 16x7 wheels.

I just am not a fan of the centers of the 2nd gen ones. I have a set but am going to use fan centers on them with some slight moding of the retaining lips. It's the smooth centers I like, not the exposed lugs.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have the first gens sitting in my garage. I loved them. Much better then the fans. But I prefer the second Gens do to more visual effects on the wheel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How about some pics to compare. I dont know what either gen look like.

·
Banned
241 Posts
idk what ones they are but usually on the 92 XR7...they are 16in and have the 7 star..best stock looking wheels by ford in my opionion.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I just am not a fan of the centers of the 2nd gen ones. I have a set but am going to use fan centers on them with some slight moding of the retaining lips. It's the smooth centers I like, not the exposed lugs.

... thats because those are 96/97 Sport center caps - the 94/95 SC wheels came with the flat caps with the Bird on them. My buddy picked up a set for his Tbird, and im pretty sure we slapped some fanblade caps on with no modifications necessary. ;)

In my opinion, it doesnt matter which set you get - as long as they are Chrome. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
I like that the 2nd gens are directional, but I like the look of the 1st gen wheels better. If someone made an exact copy of the 1st SC wheels, but reversed direction, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I like them both....I had a set of 1st gen SC wheels on my old 95 bird for the last month or so that I owned the car, they where GREAT...the non-directional part sorta sucks, but not a big deal, really....did they come factory in chrome as an option?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
... thats because those are 96/97 Sport center caps - the 94/95 SC wheels came with the flat caps with the Bird on them. My buddy picked up a set for his Tbird, and im pretty sure we slapped some fanblade caps on with no modifications necessary. ;)

In my opinion, it doesnt matter which set you get - as long as they are Chrome. :D
Yeah, I found that fan centers work on the 2nd gen SC wheels, but first I need to cut a notch to slip a pry tool in there to get them off .... and then put some shorter open end lug nuts on them.

I've seen chromed 15" Fans, I don't recall seeing chromed 16" SC wheels?

Earl said:
I like them both....I had a set of 1st gen SC wheels on my old 95 bird for the last month or so that I owned the car, they where GREAT...the non-directional part sorta sucks, but not a big deal, really ... etc ...
I must have lead a sheltered life. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize the 1st gen SC wheels weren't directional? I just never took note, but since reading this .... I've looked.

cougar1997xr7 said:
idk what ones they are but usually on the 92 XR7...they are 16in and have the 7 star..best stock looking wheels by ford in my opionion.
Depends on the car. I love the Lacy Spoke 16x7 on my Mercury GM, but yeah ....
.... the 7 spoke Mercury XR-7 wheel looks really good on a T-Bird IMHO.

I have a set on my '92 T-Bird Sport that I stripped and polished and made aluminum centers for and painted the recessed portions black.

I love them, but it was a lot of work. Someday, maybe I'll do another set maybe for the '95?

·
Banned
998 Posts
I love the 1st Gen SC wheels I had them on my car for 5 yrs and just this month sold them to buy 98 Cobra R rims.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I voted 2nd gen. But I like the look of the 7 spoke xr7 better.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
gotta go with 1st gen :D. got tons of compliments on the car since i've put them on. didn't even have to wash it! lol

·
Banned
998 Posts
Correction police....HOLD ON.....

I can call them anything I like!! LOL LOL LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts