Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Thats my brother I forgot to tell him about the Private message. But its a good question.
The engine bay is not running at 1500°F dumping radiant heat into the intake tube......so it's not reallllllllyyyy a good question. But what do I know :zdunno:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Seems like i read that the supermark wasn't running anymore and never would due to computer tuning issues, something having to do with the dual MAF/TB setup...that might not be true though....that sure is a neat car.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well , If you drive 50 miles one way to work and its 95 degrees outside and the engine runs at 190 and just general heat from the engine it would seem that the CAI tube up to the throttle body would heat up as well to temps above the outside air.

Plus it's a little off topic doncha think?
Yes it is he's new I told him about the PM function.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Well , If you drive 50 miles one way to work and its 95 degrees outside and the engine runs at 190 and just general heat from the engine it would seem that the CAI tube up to the throttle body would heat up as well to temps above the outside air.
seems that way doesn't it?

All I'll say is this. This past march I witnessed a '11 Mustang GT hit 170mph in the standing mile. With a stock air box. Engine running "normal" temps, but with ALL front grill/fascia/whatever openings blocked off. Completely. Ran the same with the stock CAI airbox/tube as with name brand monkey CAI kits. Once you capture the grandeur of the whole scenario, it makes you take a step back and realize how silly it is to be monkeying with truly utterly silly things. You have to have serious underhood temperatures via turbos or something to justify 1500°F header wrap on an intake tube. And if you could justify it with twin turbo's under the hood, you'd likely have enough money to ceramic-coat an intake tube to hell and back as well so that ugly a** header wrap would be not an option, lol.

Oh and I've actually datalogged the air temps straight from the PCMs Direct-Memory-Reads. Guess what? Once you actually start moving at a decent speed, the temps do indeed stabilize to ambient temps. Testing reveals all.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to me that the M90 would be to small for that engine .
Thats what I thought but in '93 I beleive that was only "factory" super charger availible .

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
seems that way doesn't it?

All I'll say is this. This past march I witnessed a '11 Mustang GT hit 170mph in the standing mile. With a stock air box. Engine running "normal" temps, but with ALL front grill/fascia/whatever openings blocked off. Completely. Ran the same with the stock CAI airbox/tube as with name brand monkey CAI kits. Once you capture the grandeur of the whole scenario, it makes you take a step back and realize how silly it is to be monkeying with truly utterly silly things.

Oh and I've actually datalogged the air temps straight from the PCMs Direct-Memory-Reads. Guess what? Once you actually start moving at a decent speed, the temps do indeed stabilize to ambient temps. Testing reveals all.
Good to know thanks for the info. It would stand to reason that moving air would not have the time to absorb any heat. Thinks for waking up my brain :tongue:
Now lets get back on the SuperMark topic shall we its a cool story.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Wow thats nice. Why did they go from the aluminum driveshaft to the cast iron? I mean it's definitely stronger but myself I would have left the lighter aluminum piece in there..... Oh yeah and it's a 2 piece...
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the non-LSC have the two piece aluminum drive shaft, not the single piece?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
yes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts