TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a set of 1.6" drop vogtland springs i just installed on the the rear. it came to my attention -lookin at tunk monkey's gallery- that he installed the spring with where the coils are closer together up. since mine had no instructions i instaled them with coils closer together down.

did i installed backward?
will this affect ride quality?
any info greatly appreated

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Yea, that is backwards. I thought I had done the same thing when I installed mine because I was hearing unusual sounds but they were in correctly when i re-checked was just settling and dust shield bent I think don't remember. I'm pretty sure the diamater of the top and bottom of the spring were the same just by eyeballing them if I remember right, the isolators on both sides are the same; so the isolators most likely wouldn't get damaged with an upside down spring. On a different note, I have no idea what problems having the spring upside down would cause with how it rides or sits though, but you should just flip them the right way to make sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have been told it doesnt matter as long as they are the same diameter on top and bottom. I dont see where it would make much difference but I have been wrong before.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
Post or PM me a much larger picture of your avatar Thunderclaw and I'll tell you the right answer. ;) :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
i have a set of 1.6" drop Vogtland springs I just installed on the the rear. It came to my attention -lookin at tunk monkey's gallery- that he installed the spring with where the coils are closer together up. since mine had no instructions i instaled them with coils closer together down.

did i installed backward?
will this affect ride quality?
any info greatly appreated
LOL Thanks for the Avatar info.

Yea, they're backwards. 91CougarLS could tell you for certain. He has run his in both orientations.

No, I don't think it will affect ride quality. They'll compress the same weather they're right side up or upside down.

The front ones are flattened on top so it's easy to tell which end is up on them.

The back ones should be printed with Vogtland and the part number. Put this side up. Like so ...

·
It is nice
885 Posts
pm sent LoadedButane, I had mine the correct way always; I thought I didn't when I heard noises but it was not related.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you use the stock shocks or they are the sport ones??

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
I got paranoid after reading this thread and had to look at mine............I put them on right! :znanner:

Joe

·
Registered
208 Posts
not sure who you were askin, but i used koni yellows in the front and tokico blues in the back for now.
I see in one of the trunk monkey pics have a front spring with a black shock I was wondering what kind is it ???

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
I see in one of the trunk monkey pics have a front spring with a black shock I was wondering what kind is it ???
Go to his signature and click on "HERE"

Joe

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have my vogtland springs and tokicos for my front suspension I was wondering if I have to take apart the old strut apart to take the top mate strut they look ok kind dry but not tear o rip or if is better to get new ones and which are the best Monroe ,moog ,o kyb????

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
Replace the tops! The old one's aren't worth saving and it's more trouble than it's worth to swap them.

It's not a STRUT!

Do MN12's have Shocks or Struts?

Our cars have SHOCKS.
The difference is subtle, but I'll explain it the way I understand it.

Struts are typically if not always an integral part of the suspension. Meaning they not only support weight, but control both castor and camber. A car that uses struts will have a lower control arm with a ball joint at the spindle mount. But at the top of the spindle mount there will be two bolts that attach firmly to the bottom of the strut. The top of the strut then mounts inside the strut tower. By moving that top mounting point forward, backward, inward and outward, you can alter the castor and camber to adjust the car to your particular needs.

Our cars on the other hand have a SLA (Short/Long Arm) front suspension. There is a lower and an upper control arm with a ball joint on each for the spindle. The shock then simply mounts to the lower control arm and the top of the shock tower.

Because our cars are of a unibody design, there is some inherent flex between the tops of the shock towers. The STB locks the tops of towers together to help make sure everything stays parallel. Hopefully this clears up some misconceptions.

Author: Sir William

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes I read that before I forget about the shocks and struts I just go by the name they have listed in the orealys auto parts catalog now by other side wich ones are better from my last statement????

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Yes I read that before I forget about the shocks and struts I just go by the name they have listed in the orealys auto parts catalog now by other side wich ones are better from my last statement????
All.

None.

Something different.

What kind of driving and what kind of ride do you want?

The best ride for firmness and control may not be the best ride for "Yah, I make that trip across Death Valley twice a week" softness and float :diablo:

Give some parameters, and you can get some answers.

HOWEVER - I'd opt for Tokiko adjustable so you can dial in what you want.

Or KYB adjustables.

Now, me? I just ordered a pair of KYB GR-2s for the front, and have a pair of ACDelcos for the back (don't ask. Or do. Answer is "Hell, they're good and they're cheap and I don't motorcross, autocross, quarter mile, or roundy round - and have you SEEN what passes for streets around here nowadays?" )

RwP

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well I just want a good suspension for a daily driving and good handling when is required I start upgrading suspension and brakes because maybe later like a lot ppl around upgrade engine and trans but first what is first.
I have the blue tokicos and 1.6 vogtland springs already and planning to get the bilsteins for the rear ( of course when my paycheck letme do it) I don't know if that combo is good for my aplication .

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
IMHO It'll be fine for daily driving and good handling just keep some tires on the car that have a decent amount of sidewall to provide some cushioning. I didn't notice enough of a difference to make the car undesirable for daily driving until I put the 18's on with 40 and 45 side walls. Now I feel every pebble in the road. Ideal for road feel not so much for daily driving.

Get the OEM tops they should still be available. You'll really be pleased with the Bilsteins.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMHO It'll be fine for daily driving and good handling just keep some tires on the car that have a decent amount of sidewall to provide some cushioning. I didn't notice enough of a difference to make the car undesirable for daily driving until I put the 18's on with 40 and 45 side walls. Now I feel every pebble in the road. Ideal for road feel not so much for daily driving.

Get the OEM tops they should still be available. You'll really be pleased with the Bilsteins.
I have a 17 bullit wheels from a 05 stang as soon I have my front suspension ready I'm goin to go to the rear and do the hub swap redrilling my rear hubs here were I work have a machine shop and they goin to do it for me for free(thats great cuz every rear hub is around 150) and upgrade to cobra calipers front and rear I'm goin to try to make a treat about it of my whole upgrade with pics as soon I have everything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts