TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 | 4.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I've been driving in locations I dont usually venture to (I mass transit usually) and without other cars of a similar year to reference to, I don't know whats standard. Any good metrics you use to decide if you should service?

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
Huh?

Can you rephrase that?

It doesn't make sense to me.

RwP

·
Registered
535 Posts
What, to see if things need replacing?
Visual inspection first. Get under the car and look at the ball joints and bushings. Cracked rubber bushings need to be replaced. Bloated oil soaked bushings need to be replaced. Ball joints with missing boots need to be replaced. Leaking shocks need to be replaced.

Shake the wheels and see if theres play. If the front moves on both its x and y axis, bad wheel bearing. If only on the x, possibly have bad inner and outer tie rods. Rears shouldnt move at all.

Pull the wheels and use a prybar to check ball joints. Cant easily explain it on on here so youtube it.

If you dont wanna do any of that:

Clunks over bumps are probably shocks or sway bar links.

Soft lazy steering and a non uniform pull is probably bad bushings or tie rods or both.

If the car tries to follow the ruts in the road really easy, probably have bad ball joints.

If you accelerate hard and the car twists, in a sense, the IRS subframe bushings and braces are bad.

If the car feels like a wave runner over 75mph, bad shocks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you go to get an alignment, they will not be able to align the car properly with worn parts.
They will tell you what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. They should not charge you if they can not do the alignment

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hitting bumps really hard is bad shocks.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,530 Posts
... Like driving in oodles. 🤪

1 - 7 of 7 Posts