TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the stickey " what to check if you suspension is clunking" .

My 97 t-bird with 95k miles on it is due for a front end rebuild. I've replaced both front sway bar links and I think that one of them is going out again due to a crummy replacement part.

Has anyone come up with a list of things to replace, costs, and best part and place to purchase them from? I'd hate to miss some $20 part and still have problems or purchase another crummy aftermarket part just to have it fail in 10k miles again!

Seems like some aftermarket parts are better than others and some parts need to be replaced with the ford parts?

Also does anyone know the correct torque settings for the front end? Maybe a chilton or hayes manual would have these?

Is it common for the boots on the uca's to "rot" away?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
The torque specs can be gotten off of the CD manuals that can be downloaded from http://www.fordcds.com .

The only part I am sure that the ford part should be used is the strut bushings (they are on the lower control arm just inside the ball joint) and TRW lower control arms. I just rebuilt the front end on one of my t-birds and used some nice FRPP upper control arms that Jason got for me for the same price as aftermarket. . . .To say the least, I was impressed. Contact Jason at the FordPartsCounter thread.

Just my thoughts. . . . .going away now.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tobey,

I'm in North Houston near Humble/Kingwood.

I think I'll be able to handle it just want to make sure I replace everything that needs replacing and don't leave out some little part.

Also,

I plan on doing the front end one weekend and the rear on another time. Can I get just a 2 wheel alignment done or do I have to get a 4 wheel alignment both times$$$

THX

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
97TXBIRD said:
Tobey,

I'm in North Houston near Humble/Kingwood.

I think I'll be able to handle it just want to make sure I replace everything that needs replacing and don't leave out some little part.

Also,

I plan on doing the front end one weekend and the rear on another time. Can I get just a 2 wheel alignment done or do I have to get a 4 wheel alignment both times$$$

THX
Just go somewhere like Firestone and get the lifetime alignment.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Ok, I'm going to add to this thread instead of making a new one.

I'm going to be replacing my upper control arms soon, and wanted to know something about the procedure. Is it difficult, dangerous, etc.? I've replaced the springs in the car already, so once the spring/shocks are out, what is involved in getting the old UCA's out and the new ones in?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You still have to drop the spring/strut assembly. The only hard part about the UCA is the nuts near the firewall. Some can be a *****. I've done my whole front suspension. I need to do the rear. It is just more expensive.
I've got a question. Where do I get the bushing for the strut rod? I need the one inside near the sway bar.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL man, I'd better go take a good look at my front suspension. You guys are talking about parts I'm not familiar with (well, unless I'm looking at the front end at the time).

And I can safely assume that a front end alignment is required following the replacement of the UCA's?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
97TXBIRD said:
Does firestone do the spring / strut changeover ie have a wall mounted spring compressor so I don't lose an eye?

Are there any parts at the top of the spring/strut assembly that need to be replaced?
I'm sure they do. No idea what they might charge, but it's worth it.

The top of the spring sits against a big rubber piece. MONROE Part # 901970 on www.rockauto.com . $28 each. Might as well replace it while it's out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts