TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of these? All it says it O.E. Brand aftermarket replacements. I don't see anything specifying a manufacturer.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUSPENSION-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-MERCURY-COUGAR-94-95-97_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a16Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130271820794QQitemZ130271820794QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories">Ebay Auction</a>

·
Registered
336 Posts
What do you think of these? All it says it O.E. Brand aftermarket replacements. I don't see anything specifying a manufacturer.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUSPENSION-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-MERCURY-COUGAR-94-95-97_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a16Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130271820794QQitemZ130271820794QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories">Ebay Auction</a>
I have seen this about a month or 2 ago, and i'm like woah. Damn what a deal.. But they say O.E. Aftermarket. So I don't know, can't trust eBay sometimes.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought a set of inner and outer tie rods from them. Nice quality, good fit and finish.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long ago did you get them? Do they seem to be holding up well? I hate to buy it and everything start creaking 6 months down the road.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How long ago did you get them? Do they seem to be holding up well? I hate to buy it and everything start creaking 6 months down the road.
Been almost 2 yrs in car, regular lube intervals, no issues so far.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I got the lower control arms from them, and they lasted maybe a few months before they were in worse condition than the original 17 year old 170,000 mile ones they replaced.

So I figure I would just get new ball joints and reuse the arms.

Nope, the ball joint for the OEM arms didn't fit.

The boots ripped in a few short months, and it was all down hill from there.

I then got some from Rock auto for not much more and they have better boots and better ball joints.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
I got the lower control arms from them, and they lasted maybe a few months before they were in worse condition than the original 17 year old 170,000 mile ones they replaced.

So I figure I would just get new ball joints and reuse the arms.

Nope, the ball joint for the OEM arms didn't fit.

The boots ripped in a few short months, and it was all down hill from there.

I then got some from Rock auto for not much more and they have better boots and better ball joints.
I had the same problem with my ebay chinese control arms. Snapped one in half in 6 months(there is a picture in my gallery). Then they weren't even close to the same size as the stock joint so I wound up replacing the lower control arms again...sigh

Skip them...you get what you pay for with these for sure.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had the same problem with my ebay chinese control arms. Snapped one in half in 6 months(there is a picture in my gallery). Then they weren't even close to the same size as the stock joint so I wound up replacing the lower control arms again...sigh

Thing with those cheap ebay parts is you forgo quality control. You are paying less because they don't have to employ staff to do statistical testing or what not. Also, they are made in a place where wages are very low. You in essence are their QA department. Good auto parts suppliers are ISO 9001 certified, that means they are vigilant about quality and defects. Even so you see issues with parts....Imagine if there is no QA!

Same thing with Harbor Freight tools...they have some good stuff but you have to be careful. Many people will be satisfied with a tool but there are many who have issues. That is because quality can vary greatly from one tool to another, depending on the mood of the guy assembling it.
________
Wiki Vaporizer

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Those are Moog part Numbers. You may ask the eBay Seller if those are the actual
Part numbers on the packages you will get.

-Maic

·
Registered
557 Posts
Those are Moog part Numbers. You may ask the eBay Seller if those are the actual
Part numbers on the packages you will get.

-Maic
highly unlikely that they are moog parts. o'reilly's carries a lower end brand that uses the same part numbers called masterpro.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts
I agree. The part numbers are probably only provided for identifying equivalents.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
highly unlikely that they are moog parts. o'reilly's carries a lower end brand that uses the same part numbers called masterpro.
Not unheard of to share part numbers, there are no trademarks on a PN. Sometimes they affix an A or something to the end of the number. Its very common on brake pads.

To dispell that they are moog:

Our parts are brand new, O.E. Brand and ProQuality (wheel hubs), high quality, aftermarket replacements from China, and come with a one-year warranty. These parts are made for stock specifications and are not meant for use on modified vehicles.

At least they are honest. They don't say anything about ISO 9001, that is very important. If they have that designation they can be an OEM to a car maker or sell thru say NAPA. Even with that tag parts can have issues.

Basically if the guy in China had a bad day, your ball joint could suffer. It is a crap shoot. A 1 yr warranty is low too, only dealers can get away with that on Tier one parts, which have vigorous quality checks. Ford does not want comebacks, so their parts will be as good as you get. I remember reading somewhere that balljoints are designed with a reserve of 20 major impacts (potholes) before they fail. These may have 5 (just a guess). Remember most of these OEM ball joints and arms that you replace gave service for a decade or sometimes two. The original arms are marked TRW, so if you get that or MOOG you can be assured of quality.

If you understand that it is ok to buy.
________
WEB SHOWS

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My UCAs came off ebay, blue poly boots, bigger balljoint than stock.

I bought Moog lower ball joints, also ebay. They were Moog.

·
Registered
536 Posts

What arms did you end up using?

Mitch

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With all that in mind, I think I'll skip on them and just wait. I'd rather spend more now and not have to crawl back under and redo it all in a year.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
What arms did you end up using?

Mitch
The crappy ones were world suspension, when I replaced them I used TRW. On my 97 i went with the supercoupe performance arms for the lowers and Spicer Pro line for the uppers. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've not heard anything good about the OE Brand parts yet, I'd avoid them...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Me

Hello

If it was me, I would go local with lifetime warranty.

So when they go bad, Replace them Quickly.

Most parts for late model cars are made in China. No matter who sells it.

Paul

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hello

If it was me, I would go local with lifetime warranty.

So when they go bad, Replace them Quickly.

Most parts for late model cars are made in China. No matter who sells it.

Paul
Jeez, do ya think moving all of this countries manufacturing overseas has anything to do with the current economic crisis?

Mitch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts